User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering noise, rattling and moody fuel flap.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Power steering noise, rattling and moody fuel flap.....

Hi i am new here and have a few questions regarding the Insignia....

Its my wifes car following 5 happy years in a Signum, she traded it in for a Insignia Elite CDTI 160 earlier this year, was only 4 months old at the time.

It now lives in the garage instead of mine and when putting the car away ive noticed the steering/engine sounds noisy when turning the wheel left or right when stationary or a very low speed (i know you shouldnt do this by the way!). There is always a noise when steering is under load but it sounds excessive..... almost as if something is shaking under the bonnet, is this normal?

I took the car to our local dealer 3 days after having it as i checked steering fluid (following the above experience) which was on the minimum.... they said bring it straight in but when they checked it was ok and the fluid was 3/4 full, i said no and they said yes.... i have measured it several times since and the level varies from min to max, again is this right???

Ive tried with/without engine running or on/off lock and makes no difference..... feel like asking if i can have a go in one of there demonstrators to put my mind at rest (I have an Alfa and the paranoia is spreading to this car now)....

The annoying thing was for us that when i took it in they also did 3 or 4 reacalls at the same time, not impressed by the dealer we bought it from!

I too have the creaky centre console and dash.....

Also i cant work out the fuel flap which has a mind of its own when it comes to refueling.... cant work it out at all.

The other annoying rattle comes form fornt drivers side on trailing throttle, cant tell if it inside or outside but need to sort it before it drives me mad (and i only drive the car very rarely!).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The creaking centre console is well known and there is a dealer fix for it.

I had the same problem with the fuel filler flap, locked when the car was unlocked (and in my case unable to unlock with very little fuel in the tank). You are supposed to press the unlock button twice then you should be able to open the fuel flap. Have also found that it sometimes pops open when you lock the car.

Not had the grumbling power steering issue myself but some of my colleagues have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are not alone with the noisy power steering. Mine does it too. The dealer has looked at it twice. First time they just lubricated the steering, but it still did it. I just got it back today and they have checked the suspension and the steering, lubricating it all this time.

So far so good and no noise but its early days as they say...

For me the noise is infrequent but I can sometimes force it to do it by going full lock left to right a number of times... makes a sound like a big groaning noise.

Personally I thought it was the power steering pump but the dealer doesn''t agree....

I also think I haven't heard the last it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And as if by magic the noise reappears this morning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replys.....

I too thought it sounded like a noisy pump but not sure if its something else resonating, ours does it all the time when the car is stationary, slight left or right turn is followed by a loud groan and almost shaking sensation... think i will have to ask for a go in the dealers demo and compare, but it doesnt seem right.

My 159 (just had a new rack under warranty!) makes a noise (like all p/s cars) when you do the same but it is not a concerning noise, just something you expect when something is under load, you wouldnt even register it to be honest.... but the Insignia seems loud and i cant even remember a noise at all in the Signum we had.

This car is looking like a car which is all upmarket on the surface and low rent everywhere else..... typical of a car that has had some "lean" manufacturing consultant involved in its engineering! I have noticed examples of this in lots of areas of the car.

Thread Information