Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Back again with more questions on 3.0V6 CDTi SRi

Hi again folks.

Joined the forums and posted a while back with some questions on the Veccy 3.0 CDTi SRi after deciding to go for one later in the year.

That time is now getting closer and I have a few questions more for you so I am well armed with info when it comes to deciding what particular car to go for when the time comes.

I'm planning to purchase in about September, possibly earlier. Been in to my local Vauxhall dealer and they have my details entered into the Network Q system. Salesman is going to start looking for one for me next month onwards.

Done a bit of research online both here and elsewhere about the 3.0 V6, so I'm getting to grips with what to look for but I've got a few further questions if someone could take the time to answer for me.

First of all, I'm looking at spending £10-11k on the car. Think thats putting me in the 2004/early 2005 age range?. From what I've read on here, there was a point in the V6's production run where later cars were "specced-down" somewhat by Vauxhall. What timeframe am I looking at there?. In other words, what year should I be going for when it comes to the better specced cars and indeed, when were those "specced down"?.

Im slightly confused about power outputs too. Am I right in saying that there were two versions of the 3.0 V6 CDTi engine around?. One with less power than the other?. Again, what year did this happen?.

The automatic box, available on all models from the start?. I'd prefer the manual, but if the "right" car came up and it was an auto, it wouldn't put me off.

The only three features about the car that I consider to be pretty much "must haves" are cruise, aircon and Xenon headlights. I'm thinking aircon and cruise was standard on all V6's, but when did Xenons become available for the car, whether they were optional extras or standard?. Can you tell by looking at the car whether it has Xenons fitted?. I think I read somewhere that the light units would have a dark background behind the glass if Xenons were fitted?.

Nearly finished for the time being at least!!!.

On another forum I frequent, there was a discussion going about the merits of the Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150, the Mondeo 2.2 TDCi ST and the Vectra 3.0 V6 CDTi SRi, with varying opinions.

When it came to the V6 Veccy a lot of people commented that the performance wasn't all that much more noticeable over the 1.9 CDTi 150 ( which frankly, I find hard to believe ). There was also a few comments that the 3.0 V6 didn't manage a particularly good fuel economy figure.

I've seen many threads here with people claiming some excellent mpg figures for the V6. What is a realistic day to day figure to expect? ( How long is a piece of string!!!?? ).

Would be interesting to hear some comments from you folks on comparisons between the 1.9 CDTi and the 3.0 as far as performance and fuel economy go. The wife would rather we go for a 1.9 as she see's the figures 3.0 V6 and instantly assumes it will be a fuel guzzler. This stems back to the days we used to own a Carlton 3.0 GSi 24v, and I cant seem to get over to her that there is actually a substantial difference between the two despite sharing a similar cubic capacity!!!.

I find myself more drawn however, to the V6 rather than the 1.9. It looks like exactly the car I'm after and you may well be able to tell by now that I've pretty much made my mind up already anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions. The more info I have when the salesman begins calling, the better placed I will be to be able to decide what cars he suggests looking at will be worth doing so.

Vectra-C Obsessed Poster Drinky's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can answer a few of your questions m8ty first off the "specced down " cars were the ones with out auto wipers auto dipping rear view mirror if i remember right this also came in with the different stereo system and steering wheel controls there were other small things that vauxhall "deleted" the easiest way to tell if you have specced down car is the chrome window strips on the doors

The xenons were only ever standard on the GSI veccy (pre 05) so they would have to be an option on an SRI you can tell by way of the fact they come with headlamp washers as standard there are two types of xenons early cars just had xenon lights later models had AFL you will notice these if you see them also a good way to tell if a car has xenons is it wont have a headlight beam adjuster on the light switch

Auto box is very good i have one on my 3.2 Elite it comes with full auto or tiptronic if you fancy changing gears your self

All veccy's come with cruise control and aircon as standard if you want climate control you will have to look at an elite model

the black headlights do not mean you have xenons they are for the sportier model veccy's

as for power and fuel consumption i will let one of our V6CDTI owners tell you how wonderful they are

Vauxhall changed the spec of cars in late 2004 early 2005 so if you go for an "04" plate car you should be ok in getting all the toys they later robbed

Iam sure the good folks on here will be along shortly to clear any thing up i have missed !!

Back in a V6 !!!!!!!!!!!! And lovin it !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by RSV_Ecosse
    Im slightly confused about power outputs too. Am I right in saying that there were two versions of the 3.0 V6 CDTi engine around?. One with less power than the other?. Again, what year did this happen?.
    i'm sure all pre-facelift V6's had 177bhp from the factory. for the age of car you're looking at you'll definitely have this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by RSV_Ecosse
    When it came to the V6 Veccy a lot of people commented that the performance wasn't all that much more noticeable over the 1.9 CDTi 150 ( which frankly, I find hard to believe ). There was also a few comments that the 3.0 V6 didn't manage a particularly good fuel economy figure.
    the v6 is alot smoother than the 150, and although i havent ever driven a 150 it's been discussed plenty of times on here. the v6 is deceptively quick, there is no real "kck" when flooring the throttle, just constant smooth acceleration.

as for economy i can only state what i get out of mine. i cover approx 470 miles a week from a single tank, my driving is what can be described as mixed , 50/50 between town and motorway driving - i get to around the high 30's when it comes to mpg. i rarely drive like miss daisy as i', always in a hurry.

the v6 truly is a wonderful engine but if you're primary concern is mpg then go for a 150 and get it remapped.

hope this helps you out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm new to Vx ownership, my first Vx was in bought in 1991 and it was nearly 30 years old at the time. That put me off Vx for almost 15 years.

We bought a 55 plate 3.0 V6 CDTi Sri in April this year, we're the second owners after a Vx dealer in Scotland somewhere, its had 11k on the clock and cost £12.5k from motorpoint in Derby.

From an mpg point of view its managing about 420 on a full tank, tho most of that is pottering around at various speeds, stop start and so on. Oddly the travel computer had never been reset since it was new, it displayed an average of 38mpg over about 11k miles.

Its the facelift model, its doesn't have auto wipers or auto dip mirror but it does have chrome door trim!? I'm not up on the spec anyway, although it appears to have every other option/gadget. A/c, cruise, colour sat nav, sun roof, mp3 player, plus others, I'm not a gadget man so not really bothered.

Performance wise I'm really impressed, we've had a history of sporty cars in the past, the previous one to the Vectra was a Civic Type R. Coming from this into a diesel Vectra was a concern but I feel I'm not missing out on performance, although the Honda would out perform and handle the Vectra its certainly no slouch.

So after 15 years of steering clear of Vx I would say after nearly 4-5 months ownership I an very impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The performance of the 1.9 and the 3.0 is very similar, having witnessed a few "tests" myself, driving at 50mphin fourth, floor it and its only the last 750 - 500 revs where the 3.0 starts to edge forward. But they are so smooth and dont sound like a deisel at all. They do generally average less than the 1.9 for mpg, high 30s, where the 1.9 will happlily average mid 40s. Best thing is to drive the two, plus its the "kudos" of owning a 3litre V6, an theres nowt wrong with that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I've got a Vx demo 3.0 V6 CDTi Elite (got to go back tomorrow) .
    Its only a couple of months old so its a facelift with 184PS. And I must say I was extremly impressed with the acceleration of it. Far, far better than my 2.2 Direct - no comparision. The power comes in with an extreme urgency as you floor it - thats all I can say to describe it. It was certainly better than what I expected. I cant comment on the 3.0 pre-facelift though as I've never driven one. On the motorway in fifth, I floored it, then 5 secs later looked in the rear view mirror and cars were disappearing into the distance V quickly! not had this experience since I owned an Astra GTE 16V many moons ago .

Now for the downside. I reset the fuel computer and after about 50 miles of some A road and town driving, the average mpg went down to 28!!!! . I was shocked as I thought diesels were economical!!! Oh well - you cant have something for nothing I suppose!!

I going to post some pics up and more words well I get a sec in a new thread......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just read a couple of posts about the V6 not being much quicker......Well I driven my mates 1.9 CDTi facelift a couple of weeks ago (although not for long and it was on an A road) and it didnt seem as good as the V6. This one I've got on test, when you floor it in in 2nd or 3rd it feels like you are being hit up the a55 by a juggernaut doing 80!! Maybe its me not used to diesels, maybe its just this facelift model (maybe somebody snook a box on, lol, I doubt it!!). Dunno, but it seems quick to me.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm getting over 40mpg with my pre facelift 3.0cdti.... the power is awsome. and i'm guessing that the logevity of the engine may be longer as it doesnt have to work as hard as the 1.9's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After almost 43000 miles the average for my automatic 3.0 V6 CDTI Signum is 35.5. The current figures for a mix of motoring is 38/39mpg. If I do a lot of motorway miles it will get over 40 to the gallon. Town driving in rush hour traffic is 29-30mpg.

Do not forget that the Signum is a lot heavier than a Vectra

Regular Member threelitresofelitesig's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bruceybonus
    I'm getting over 40mpg with my pre facelift 3.0cdti.... the power is awsome. and i'm guessing that the logevity of the engine may be longer as it doesnt have to work as hard as the 1.9's
    Strange that - I'd love to know how you're getting 40s when I get 28-34 depending on where and how I drive.....?

No, I'm not Schumacher, but most of the roads I drive on are reasonably clogged A's and roads into town.

Motorway I haven't even bettered 37 mpg at 80.....

Something tells me my car ain't "right in the head" somewhere as I don't really get urgent acceleration (it goes alright but not mentally) and sometimes seems a bit quicker than others (with or without a/c on)

Anyone any ideas?

See, thing is I can't work out if it's the 170 or 180 bhp engine I got as it's a pre facelift job with all the nicer toys (and better seats) as the badging does'nt tell me a lot (I see red TI on the back of some... so I know they're hotter... I was sold a 1.9 cdti as such and it wasn't)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information