0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 150 flat spot finally sorted !

Wow , two days off and Ive been hard at work on the vectra and Ive got well skinned knuckles to prove it !

Firstly instead of stripping the manifold to clean it I took off the battery and cover along with the TB and used a very long serving spoon ( I know ) to take out around half a cup full of sludge out from the manifold. Then I used some carb cleaner to blast the residue I couldnt scrape out.

Maybe It was a bit Heath Robinson but it took all of 1 hour not the 4 or so inc cost of gaskets etc if I had decided to pull the manifold off.

So to keep my manifold in its new (semi ) clean state I invested in a catch tank and took it from the top of the breather system and did a fairly neat install away at the rear of the engine bay.

I then decided to tackle the bl***y egr once and for all as Id bought and fitted a Fiat restricting gasket ( square one with four holes goes between egr and manifold) and it had really done sod all.

I then went to work with an old can and some metal shears creating a new gasket for the smaller diamond shape (up pipe to egr) and drilling from 4 mil upwards and using op com to reset the error light to work out how small I could make the next restriction without an error being logged.

It transpires Its 10 mil with the above mentioned Fiat gasket allready in place. I do wish I hadnt gone up just one mil at a time

So with the manifold and hopefully the swirl valve flaps clean and moving well and with the best restriction possible with no error code it now works a treat. No flat spot / lack of power and it spools up nice and early close to 1100 rpm and on boost is fantastic.

Some pics of the catch can install just cos I like the look of it

Then I did a complete service including brake bleed , cleaned and painted the calipers black to tidy them up and then decided I wanted to take off the intercooler to wash it through with cleaner as it must be clogged up in the small vanes wiht the crud that was blowing through from the pcv system.

This was scuppered by the air con rad not lifting out of its seat in the intercooler on the left as the pipework would not budge and the top torx screws for the intercooler are hid away under the slam panel and i could only figure need to be accessed via the small hole in the slam panel that would require a very long thin torx screwdriver that I dont have

Another pic of this part I hope someone reading can help as id like to try to clean the intercooler. The yellow circles are where I found the top torx screws and the red circle is the side of the air con rad that wouldnt lift out.

All I can say is good luck to anyone else suffering the lack of power issue.

Shrimpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the square fiat gasket fitted I think I'll try the other as well, how much difference do you think it's made?

The catch tank looks good too, I'll be interested to see if it catches much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to tell as I did the gasket and the manifold at the same time but the difference is vast . I had the usual sluggishness before 2k and now it's totally gone. I'm also waiting to see how much oil is caught. I feel like an expectant parent looking under the bonnet after every trip today. I think I need to get out more !

It should catch quite a bit as the pipework leading to the tb was full of fresh oil .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good how2 mate
    If you take the bottom brackets off the radiators,it should hopefully drop the rads enough to allow access to the top torx screws,to remove the intercooler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aikon58 View Post
    Very good how2 mate
    If you take the bottom brackets off the radiators,it should hopefully drop the rads enough to allow access to the top torx screws,to remove the intercooler
    Cheers , it was last thing and I was lnackered couldn't see the wood for the trees. I'll have a look for the bottom bracket fixings.

I'm also looking at a mesh protector for the rads as the air con has been battered by stones and Im amazed it's not split or holed .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to look for a cheap good replacement air con radiator first

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi mate EGR was one of my tasks today as had no power below 2k, also had to do the recirc servo on the heating system, did you clean the boost sensor too? mine was filthy, also made a new gasket for the exhaust inlet side of the EGR only problem is i put a 8mm hole in and thought that would be ok but when i started it up the emission light came on power is really good though, but as you have found out for me the hole needs to be bigger so if its not raining tommorow i'll do it, really pleased now cause the car has felt really slow since i brought it 2 weeks ago. Got most of my knuckles left though!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undo the 2 radiator mounting bolts at the bottom.. As you undo these the hole rad assembly will drop down somewhat allowing better access to the torx screws
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can buy the oval restrictor gaskets from Fiat, they are for the 120 but fit a treat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"""Firstly instead of stripping the manifold to clean it I took off the battery and cover along with the TB and used a very long serving spoon ( I know ) to take out around half a cup full of sludge out from the manifold. Then I used some carb cleaner to blast the residue I couldnt scrape out."""

What's the TB?

Cheers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information