Thread: On the spot fines for illegal tyres

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default On the spot fines for illegal tyres

I have been telling my sister in law to change her tyres for weeks now as they are equal with the wear indicator. her hubby though is insistent that if pulled over by the police you are given 28 days to change them without incurring a fine and points. I am sure they can fine you there and then (3 points and up to £2500 per tyre). Which is right? (by the way I never let mine get below 3mm!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When the 28 days is up, the wear will be below the 1.6mm indicator. Albeit very slightly.

It's on the spot points and fine. I'm sure of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tyres down to the tyre tread indicators may still be legal, as they are set to 2.0mm
    You need to make correct tread depth measurements (see the last section below)
    I tend to order my new tyres when the tyre tread indicators are finally level with the top of the tread

====

It depends on the nature of how illegal the tyres are, hence a Fixed Penalty Notice cannot be issued, the matter has to proceed to court
    The prosecution case is PER tyre and so each tyre has to be referred to separately, although it can be dealt with in one case

However, the officer can apply discretion depending on the remaining tread depth and general tyre condition

Between 1.0 and 1.6mm the officer MUST issue a VDRF (Vehicle Defect Rectification); failure to comply with this will result in a prosecution
    Between 0.25 and 1.0mm the officer MUST issue a VDRF and the matter may still be considered for prosecution (even though the VDRF is complied with)
    Less than 0.25mm and the officer MUST issue a VDRF, but may also consider an immediate vehicle prohibition

The measurements are taken across the central three quarters of the tread, so make sure they measure the tyre correctly (the first number of the tyre profile)
    Three measurements must also be taken, one from each of the opposite edges of that central three quarters zone plus one from the centre

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have been pushing her for weeks to get them changed!! I never knew the wear indicators were set at 2mm and not 1.6mm. I suppose this is to ensure in most cases the tyres get replaced before they hit 1.6mm. If issued are the fines payable within 28 days? is this where he is getting this figure from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Show her this

What Are the Penalties for Driving With Faulty Tyres?

In the case of any vehicle, with the exception of goods vehicles and vehicles adapted to carry more than eight passengers, for every offence there is a fine at level 4 of the standard scale with discretionary disqualification with 3 penalty points.

Level 4 currently stands at £2,500 and each faulty tyre is considered as a separate offence, which can really add up. Two faulty tyres equals £5,000 and 6 points on your license, and so on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Bmw 330d

Trim : Msport

Engine : 3.0d

Year : 2008

told my sister about slick tyres she's had for a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mattv6diesel View Post
    told my sister about slick tyres she's had for a month.
    Aye Lewis Hamilton would be proud of these tyres!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Tyres down to the tyre tread indicators may still be legal, as they are set to 2.0mm
    You need to make correct tread depth measurements (see the last section below)
    I tend to order my new tyres when the tyre tread indicators are finally level with the top of the tread

====

It depends on the nature of how illegal the tyres are, hence a Fixed Penalty Notice cannot be issued, the matter has to proceed to court
    The prosecution case is PER tyre and so each tyre has to be referred to separately, although it can be dealt with in one case

However, the officer can apply discretion depending on the remaining tread depth and general tyre condition

Between 1.0 and 1.6mm the officer MUST issue a VDRF (Vehicle Defect Rectification); failure to comply with this will result in a prosecution
    Between 0.25 and 1.0mm the officer MUST issue a VDRF and the matter may still be considered for prosecution (even though the VDRF is complied with)
    Less than 0.25mm and the officer MUST issue a VDRF, but may also consider an immediate vehicle prohibition

The measurements are taken across the central three quarters of the tread, so make sure they measure the tyre correctly (the first number of the tyre profile)
    Three measurements must also be taken, one from each of the opposite edges of that central three quarters zone plus one from the centre
    Well, you learn something new everyday. Nice info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well she has listened this time and is now at Tyre Spot..God knows what brand of tyres she will end up with though!!! Thanks for all the advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post

Wrong, might be in scotland but its called the VDRS in England and the police don't need to issue one.

Vehicles - Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme (VDRS) Tickets
    A VDRS ticket can be issued by a police officer for certain offences relating to the condition of a vehicle, and are issued dependent on the relevant factors of the offence, at the officer's discretion. This gives the driver the opportunity to have the fault repaired, rather than be prosecuted. To avoid the possibility of prosecution, the driver must do the following within 14 days of the ticket being issued:

• Have the vehicle repaired.
    • Have the vehicle inspected at an MOT approved testing station.
    • Have the VDRS ticket endorsed at an MOT test station to confirm that the fault is rectified.
    • Forward the completed VDRS ticket to the Central ticket Offices within the time specified on the ticket.
    Last edited by John35; 27th March 2010 at 16:39. Reason: comma put in for clarity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information