Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up Thorney 2.0T Remap - Stage 1

Hi

Got to Thorney yesterday morning. All went fine with their stage 1 map, they had a couple of insignia vxrs there on the rolling road, and some focus rs's. Looks like they are doing tuning options for fords now...i think...as they had one up on the rolling road, and i know ill be shot for saying this, but the R.S sounded so much better than the Insignia VXR, maybe more work is due, but they did the RS first and then their Stage 2 Siggy VXR. RS just sounded imense!....Anyway, back to the map

The map is excellent, im a total newbie to tuning etc, but, my feelings and views on the car i can only describe from my first experience. Normal mode is a lot smoother, with a more linear smoother power delivery, with a lot more mid and high end torque

In sport mode, this thing is an animal, but still gets the power down really well. Steering is harder, as well as the ride, but very firm at the same time when cornering (Milton Keynes round abouts helped a lot ).

Cruising at 70 in 6th still pulls really well when i needed to over take on the way back.

It feels really really safe. For a stage 1 map, it is excellent. Thorney did had a bit of trouble writing to my car, but with the help from Superchips, all went fine.

Great service, and a really great map!!

They have a stage 2, no price yet (TMS Race exaust and Map), and have LSD options as well as brake and wheel upgrades progressing.

John shared a note that their own Insignia VXR-R is in the works, their own stage 2 is running at about 360bhp atm

The engine itself seems a lot more solid, pulling off from a stand still is a lot smoother, and the turbo kicks in at about 2600rpm, it was earlier before. But, getting used to it over time. My driving will have to adapt, but no major changes.

The power is just something else, she pulls like a train up to 6th, rev limit has been increased as well, didnt get an exact limit from them, but it does pull a lot better at higher revs, over what it used to before.

If you still want to cruise, tour is available. I love it, the car has totally changed.

Stage 2 will be around the £1000 mark. Looking to apply that after my 25th birthday at the end of may. With a brake upgrade aswell.

Either Insignia VXR system with brembo set-up, or the alacon 6 pots.

See how it goes, no outputs or graphs as didnt get a chance to get on the rollers, hopefully at a meet or summat, I can get it done

Cheeers

Very good day! Thanks Thorney!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

excellent news, have fun:-)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spida_singh View Post

Thorney did had a bit of trouble writing to my car, but with the help from Superchips, all went fine.
    Does anyone know if this is normal??

Like Spida I'm a complete novice to the tuning scene. I'm seriously considering buying an Insignia VXR (the prices are so low at the moment I'd be stupid not to consider the Vauxhall and I have a major aversion for Audis and BMWs). It gives me confidence that most of the press reviews have been positive, however the most common gripe they all seem to agree on is that for such a heavy car the engine definitely needs more power.

So a TMS remap would be great, more power and a 3 year warranty but from posts on this and other vauxhall forums, I keep reading hot and cold praise about Thorney's maps and how some Vauxhalls struggle to accept them and that generally their maps are unreliable. Again, from what I've read it appears Courtenays are top dog when it comes to mapping but it's the fact they have no warranty that puts me off them and for the time being makes TMS the option for me if i was to buy the vxr.

BTW Spida, why didn't they put your car on the RR? I thought it was best practice for tuners to do a be4 and after run to make sure everything went ok???

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK, lets clear up this warranty thing.

Thorney Motorsport re-maps are NOT Vauxhall warranty approved. They go against your warranty just like every other tuner.

The difference is, Thorney offer a supplementary warranty to run along side the manufacturers warranty so if anything goes wrong because of the re-map, Thorney are the ones that foot the bill.

But if you look at other tuners, they guarantee their work anyway.

Regarding Thorney's, it has been hit and miss, all I would say is that some very long standing customers have moved on. They have some good and knowledgable guys working their but they are not in the same league IMO as Courtenay for Vauxhall Tuning. The software they use is fine, Superchips is a very good company without a doubt.

Courtenay have in the past done alot for Vauxhall behind the scenes. Courtenay use the same datalogging/interface equipment as Opel in Germany, I wonder if thats the reason they never have trouble writing to cars.

Stefan Klassen who is Courtenay's software engineer writes software for Steinmetz in Germany, Opel in Germany amongst other's but in the UK it is only Courtenay that use Klassen software.
    Last edited by Maverick; 26th March 2010 at 22:15.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Derven View Post
    Does anyone know if this is normal??

Like Spida I'm a complete novice to the tuning scene. I'm seriously considering buying an Insignia VXR (the prices are so low at the moment I'd be stupid not to consider the Vauxhall and I have a major aversion for Audis and BMWs). It gives me confidence that most of the press reviews have been positive, however the most common gripe they all seem to agree on is that for such a heavy car the engine definitely needs more power.

So a TMS remap would be great, more power and a 3 year warranty but from posts on this and other vauxhall forums, I keep reading hot and cold praise about Thorney's maps and how some Vauxhalls struggle to accept them and that generally their maps are unreliable. Again, from what I've read it appears Courtenays are top dog when it comes to mapping but it's the fact they have no warranty that puts me off them and for the time being makes TMS the option for me if i was to buy the vxr.

BTW Spida, why didn't they put your car on the RR? I thought it was best practice for tuners to do a be4 and after run to make sure everything went ok???
    I have no idea why it didn't write. Each car is different, and it may have been a config change on the laptop or summat to get it writing, it read everything fine, just writing back was an issue, but, superchips sorted that in litterally 5 minutes.

With regards to the rolling road, they had a few cars booked to go on, so they did not put mine on. I can easily tell the map has been applied, the car has totally changed.

TMS checked all the ECU's etc before and after the map with a test drive at the end. Thorney gave everything the ok with superchips before i drove it off.

The tuner you take it to is pure choice. All of them have done some very good things, and sometimes maybe some bad things. For me personally, Vauxhall and Thorney have a partnership, I can take my car to either any vauxhall for Thorney Performance centre for any work done. And it's covered under warranty.

I will most likely get thorney to do everything, including the advanced servicing etc when it's due.

Im a person who tends not to worry too much about what could go wrong or bad etc. As if you think about something going wrong too much, it probably will.

Make your choice, based on some things you have read, but, im sure you will be happy with Thorneys work. Im newbie to all this, I could change my mind in 3 years time, but ill come to that when i reflect on everything

Cheers

Sundeep

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Video of a Dyno run today by Garage 786 in Leicester, and my graph attached.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIy0FAHTB-Q

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sweet,. wouldn't say no to 246 bhp in my turbo like...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Marcosuk View Post
    Sweet,. wouldn't say no to 246 bhp in my turbo like...
    Not when your starting with 220bhp!

I have to say, I am very suprised in the figure. (Not your fault of course Spida) 246.6bhp for a re-map on a 2.0T is very low. The torque is starting to tail off at about 3800 and it should be holding alot longer before dropping off

EDS re-map is 270/280bhp

Courtenay's re-map is a proven 270bhp.

26.6bhp is way lower than you expect to have on this engine. The A20 NHT engine like you have is very capable of 270bhp with just a re-map.

This is the problem with the Thorney/Superchips mapping, they have to do it bit by bit, where as Courtenay have the full OEM map files from Opel, and I am sure EDS have as well.

I am not doubting it drives well as I am sure it does, but I would for sure complain about the figures. It's not a bad torque figure of just under 300lb/ft, but if they could re-map it again to stop the power dropping off so early, it would be a whole lot better.

Please don't look at this as me having a go at you because I am not, far from it.
    Last edited by Maverick; 27th March 2010 at 17:59.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Here's the graph's from my old Zafira GSi, ignore the figures as although they are 300bhp and 303lb/ft, it's not the figures we are looking at, but the way the torque curve holds on.

You can see the power curve grows

Then look at the torque, peaks at around 2700/2800 rpm, then hold it right across the rev range.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mav, im easy mate, and I understand what your saying, all comments and suggestions are welcome, its my first ever go at these things. Ill give Thorney a ring to discuss the readings and torque curve. And see what their other 2 litre petrol models have been producing, as im sure they will have a log of other customer cars. I know Courtenay offer much higher gains with just a map, as well as Regal.

I have looked at the differences before with maps etc from TMS and Courts. TMS do seem to do things bit by bit. It's probably because they prefere a safe map, reasons will always be unknown, and i know every tuner is different.

I am very happy, but, I will discuss the early drop off, as I can clearly see the difference between the curves, but, this was done on a local dyno, NOT Thorneys, I know TMS might say well have a go on our dyno and will check the differences.

I will keep you guys posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information