User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1.9 CDTI complete electrical fail!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.9 CDTI complete electrical fail!

Hi, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now, only just found these forums so apologies for my 2nd post being a cry for help but i don't know where else to turn!

I started off having the same problems as rocco with the car dying whilst being run, power steering/ABS/radio everything going. Took it to the dealers i bought it from as i had a 3month 50/50 warranty, they changed the alternator for me at a cost of £250, now i wasn't there to pick it up but apparently it had to be jumped b/c the battery was still dead, i presumed the battery was now totally gone and thought they'd changed the original problem with the alt so if i got a new battery it would be back on the road again.....

Got a new battery (bit smaller physically than the old but same power) fitted it and it started fine, ran fine all day on the saturday and then when i went to start it sunday morning it was dead again, so back to the dealers it went with a complimentary rover 45 loan car, at no charge, for me to get back to aldershot in (im in the army and based down there).

This week then i have been in touch with the dealer almost everyday, so far this is what he's done.

- Changed the battery and it started fine on the monday, he took it home monday night and it started fine tuesday morning, dead on the drive again on the wednesday.

- Had a look at it himself and checked out all the basics, no boot light on, glove box light etc etc, they all check out ok so off it went to their workshop.... who are stumped, its still draining batterys when off.

- Phoned an auto-electrician that he knows who has said that the vectra c has had issues with the cd player staying on over night (has it?? a google search has turned up nothing much) so now last night after i got off the phone to him he was taking out the cd player unit, he was told not to just remove the fuse but the whole unit, and seeing if that was causing the battery drain.

Has anyone had problems similar to this before? This is causing me some seriously restless nights, we've got it on a 3.5 year finance deal and 3 months in it looks like the cars completely done in already, i'm just about to leave the army in about a month, and for the jobs that i want to do i really need a motor to commute in, i'm dreading him getting back to me and telling me what its going to cost to fix this (if they actually find out whats wrong with it!)

Thanks for any help and advice

Neil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

get auto spark or garage to connect an amp meter onto bat cable andsee what power is being drawn

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think he's already done this tbh, when he was changing batteries at the beginning of the week he was talking about the voltages being fine from the alternator and battery, its annoying b/c i basically just have to trust that he's checking it right as i'm 120 miles away atm and not looking like i'll be getting back up that way for a while.

If i had the car i'd be testing whats being drawn when the cars off and then whipping out fuses until it changed etc etc but i dont even know if he's been doing this, i think the major issue for me here is feeling so ****** helpless about it being far away and talking over the phone all the time.

I just feel like putting the thing through a vauxhall service, paying whatever it costs and private selling it b/c i really don't need this 3 months into my 'new' cars life!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thas what i meant by amp meter mate its the only way forward for you, not a volt meter, need to see what current is going out the battery when its switched off

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi , Neil. I too have the same problem,it too is an 06 sri cdti est. It was tested with an amp meter and once the car had shut down showed a drain of .22 amps. Once fuse 9 was removed from the box to the left of the dash the drain stopped. Fuse 9 serviced the multi function module 1. If this was your problem then You could remove the fuse each night to stop the drain. Or just disconnect the battery. I appreciate it does not solve the problem but it would tide you over till the problem is located.I am still working through the cars system to try and solve the problem rather than going to the main dealer and get stung. It does seem a common fault, may be we should contact watch dog to try and get an airing because vauxhall would not addmit there is a fault to us.
    brian/benson
    Last edited by benson; 2nd January 2011 at 15:24.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 131,000

In answer to two parts...

Yes there had been issues with the CD30 / CD30 mp3 units turning themselves back on at night...
    Can't clearly remember if it was a display or head-unit issue
    Sure it was the display !!!
    Only fix, was a replacement screen.

Also Fuse 9 at the end of the dash, is one of the many fuses that provide power to the Body control module..(BCM)

The fuses are
    F1 = for Head-unit
    F7 and 9 = for BCM power distribution
    F10 = for CIM (ignition live status control)
    F12 = BCM -over voltage / short circuit protection
    F17 = For BCM power distribution
    F26 = for Display screen.

The BCM also sends a CANbus signal to the other modules, to tell them when the ignition is on. (UEC, REC etc...)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was wondering if ORANGEPEELEO has solved the electrical problem he had as I still have my problem. Or is there any one out there who has had the problem and solved it, and could let me know the answer as its driving me mad.

Thread Information