Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Limp mode

Hi everyone

I recently bought a 2.2dti sri and have nothing but problems with the turbo shutting down whilst on the motorway doing around 70-80 mph. Although it doesn't happen all the time it happens on the odd occassion and I'm having to pull onto the hard shoulder and re-start the car to reset the turbo. I hav now learnt that this is called the 'LIMP MODE'. The garage has repaired a vacuum and it seemed ok but has since been back with the same problem, but not as bad. They have rang me up and informed me that Vauxhall has had it on the diagnostic machine and said there's nothing wrong with it and the 'LIMP MODE' is something it is supposed to do. I dunno whether I look thick or summat, but that doesn't sound right to me. Is this something I should be worried about and should I go about trying to get my money back as this is the 3rd time this problem has happened in 6 weeks of having the car. Really do need to know whether it would be best just to give the car back and fight them in the courts if it comes down to it. I would appreciate some good feedback please, as I believe the costs of new turbo's aint cheap.

Cheers Brett

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Brett,

its not something its supposed to do - there will be an underlying issue
    are you getting a warning light in the instrument display?
    if not then its a "soft fault" one thats not stored and if you use certain diagnositic machines it wont show the fault - can i suggest you try and read the fault youself with the brake pedal method (do a search) this should produce a fault code that we can then decipher

i think if they have replaced a vaccum hose that you may need one or both of the turbo solenid valves replacing = ones on the turbo and the others under the ecotec cover= they both look identical and can induce limp home mode

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Am not up with all the mechanical stuff, but the spanner thing comes on the dash and stays on. They have replaced a selenoid the previous occasion when it went in though, because I remember them mentioning it.

Aint got a clue what u mean by a brake pedal test either lol

Should I be worried that its still doing it ???? It wasn't as bad this time when I sent it back, but by the same rule its still doing it. I'm supposed to be picking the car up in abit, really aint sure what to do.

If I should keep the car, I believe there are things that you can take off and clean yourself, that can help cure these problems, but would need photos and good advice on how to carry these things out.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you can read the fault code yourself with the brake pedal

with your foot firmly on the accelerator and brake pedal turn the key to stage 2 (lights on dash) and watch the engine light in the bottom right corner it will start to flash, then stop flash again , stop flash again stop and flash again a total of four sets of flashes

10 flashes -= 0
    1 = 1
    2= 2

and so on

you should then have a 4 digit code to work out the problem

and as per my first post there are TWO solenoids the one that generally gets changed is the turbo one - but they work in tandem so if your still getting the fault read the code - see whats present and then we can go from there

hth

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Dez

I'm just off to pick the car up now and will try and do the pedal test once I get home.
    I'll tell u how it goes and if I succeed at doing it properly.

Brett

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by deztroyer View Post
    you can read the fault code yourself with the brake pedal

with your foot firmly on the accelerator and brake pedal turn the key to stage 2 (lights on dash) and watch the engine light in the bottom right corner it will start to flash, then stop flash again , stop flash again stop and flash again a total of four sets of flashes

10 flashes -= 0
    1 = 1
    2= 2

and so on

you should then have a 4 digit code to work out the problem

and as per my first post there are TWO solenoids the one that generally gets changed is the turbo one - but they work in tandem so if your still getting the fault read the code - see whats present and then we can go from there

hth

regards

Dez
    Hi Dez

Aint got round to checking the 'Pedal test' yet as I have been informed not to drive the car now, while I am waiting for them to confirm if they are accepting my rejection of the car. I have parked it up on my bosses drive and bought a run about for £500. Just googled 'limp mode vauxhall 2.2 dti sri' and the amount of people that are having the same problems as me is unbelieveable. I will hopefully do the pedal test this Friday, as I want to put it on my sisters drive. Hopefully I will be able to do the test right, but let u know either way

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default vectra engine problems

Quote Originally Posted by irmscher-brett View Post
    Hi Dez

Aint got round to checking the 'Pedal test' yet as I have been informed not to drive the car now, while I am waiting for them to confirm if they are accepting my rejection of the car. I have parked it up on my bosses drive and bought a run about for £500. Just googled 'limp mode vauxhall 2.2 dti sri' and the amount of people that are having the same problems as me is unbelieveable. I will hopefully do the pedal test this Friday, as I want to put it on my sisters drive. Hopefully I will be able to do the test right, but let u know either way
    hello m8 my daughters just had her diesel var like yours same problem some times goes then some times cutting back and it turned out to be the fual pump thats front engine its on the cam chain so not just a easy job

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

fuel pump was its a bit like car was being short fuel we thought the fuel lines was blocked changed all sorts things airflow meter was told problem as well no joy had fuel pump changed was told this is a comon fault with these cars was told he does as least one a week so just have a check ok

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

still having problems let us know ok

Thread Information