Thread: Koni FSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Koni FSD

does anyone have any experience with these?
    here is an artice from their website:

FSD is the abbreviation of Frequency Selective Damping. It is the latest technology of KONI, specifically designed to combine the ultimate in comfort and road-holding.

When the emphasis of a car’s performance is on the best possible road-holding, a lack in ride comfort is an automatic consequence when using conventional shock absorbers. Not so with the KONI FSD technology!

The groundbreaking FSD technology has been designed and patented by KONI to end the compromise between comfort and road-holding. This new feature can be used as an integrated part of the hydraulic valving system inside the damper. Consequently no additional cables, sensors, or any other electronic devices are needed to operate this system.

Basically, comfort and handling can be split in two different frequency areas:
    > For comfort, with the suspension moving in a high frequency area (± 10 Hz), asking for low damping forces.
    > For handling, with the suspension moving in a low frequency area (± 1 Hz), asking for high damping forces.

If you are able to change the damping force level in relation to the frequency of the movement, you create the possibility to solve the conflict in terms of comfort and handling ever present in conventional dampers.

The KONI FSD technology does just that!

How does it work?

In standard shock absorbers the main damping characteristic is defined by the oil flow going through the piston assembly. (1)

Combining it with the FSD feature, KONI added a special valve (2), which controls an oil flow parallel to the one going through the piston rod. (3)

This parallel oil flow is closed by the FSD feature, giving a rise in damping force almost linear to the time that the piston is moving in one direction.

Put simply: the FSD feature is a hydraulic amplifier that delays the build up of pressure. One could say that an extra tuning option has been created in order to get the best possible combination of handling and comfort.

Since it is an integrated part of the hydraulic valve system inside the damper, no additional cables, sensors or any other electronic devices are needed to operate an FSD damper.

FSD is the simplest and most economic way to significantly improve the ride and driving characteristics of every car. Certainly in comparison with costly systems which work on the basis of computer technology, complex electronics and sensors.
    i read somewhere on a bmw forum in one guy's post that they are much softer when going over speed bumps etc than OEM and when it comes to handling it is a vast improvement compared to OEM (I guess most of us know how bmw's handle, even stock models ). everything sounds promising on the paper, but do you think they would be any good in reality?

adequate -30mm springs would go with them as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you try the search?

Same question comes up every few weeks, nobody seems the go for the FSD, because there are no other drivers with experience.

As most others I went for Eibach + Bilstein B6, because there was no information on how FSD's handle on a Vectra, and Bilstein is known for their quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

. . . . . . I asked the same question myself some months ago & like yzf1kr finished up fitting Eibach + Bilstein B6's although most go for Bilstein B4's which are much much cheaper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've recently sold a set of the FSD's to a customer for a Vectra C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia elite tourer vxline biturbo

Trim : Elite vxline

Engine : 2.0 biturbo

Year : 2013

Mileage : 80000

i have a set on my car been on about 2yrs now with eibach and yes a vast improvement over std .. but i did go from a sri 150 to a vectra c elite as wanted all the toys..
    suspension is good a good ride and not to hard.. but i feel they improve more when there is weight in the car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by danBoy View Post
    I've recently sold a set of the FSD's to a customer for a Vectra C
    did you get any feedback from the customer mate?

Quote Originally Posted by simon1 View Post
    i have a set on my car been on about 2yrs now with eibach and yes a vast improvement over std .. but i did go from a sri 150 to a vectra c elite as wanted all the toys..
    suspension is good a good ride and not to hard.. but i feel they improve more when there is weight in the car...
    it is nice to hear some 1st hand experiences but I somehow think you aren't too satisfied with them?

I've just checked the prices and it looks like springs + shocks would be about 900€, a bit too much for a set I think.. I'll rather add a bit more and get a set of KW coilovers with adjustable hardness and height..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They are still being made then I'll be shipping them to Finland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OIC, I was getting excited too early then

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia elite tourer vxline biturbo

Trim : Elite vxline

Engine : 2.0 biturbo

Year : 2013

Mileage : 80000

dont get me wrong they are good .. prob better had koni springs as matched .
    but mate has a 1.9 sri vectra std suspension and seems a harder ride...
    but granted he is running x pack on so comes with 19`s.
    at the time with about £500 to spend it was the best on the market at the time ...

Thread Information