Thread: Advice regarding a dodgy mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Advice regarding a dodgy mechanic

I would really appreciate some advice. I read all the sections and I guessed this would be the best place, please move if its not.

Ok I was in Bishop Auckland today with my best friend, we were in her Audi A2. 3 weeks ago it has a new timing belt and water pump fitted by a mobile mechanic, she sourced the parts herself but from a reputable firm, the mobile mechanic has his own garage he's VAT registered etc.

It started making some really dodgy noises so I told her to pull over, we rang a garage she knew just 2 mins away and asked them to come to us. They arrived and this is what they found, 2 of the engine mounting bolts had sheared off, one was missing and the other was just sitting loose (this is on the drivers side, same side as the timing belt) the mount has come away and the engine had dropped so it was sitting on the timing belt.

Bearing in mind we are about 30 mile from home we decided to let the local garage who she trusted to tow the car away as theres no way we could drive it. I called the mobile mechanic told him what had happened and according to him he tightened the bolts up and he wouldnt have just left them, he then goes on to tell me to let him collect the car and he will look at it. Given the distance we were away we decided to let the garage nearby take the car they are going to put it on the ramps tomorrow to get a fuller picture of whats happened.

My question is what do we do about the mobile mechanic. I spoke to the garage who towed it and they said it has to be his fault, theres no way those bolts were tight given the fact theres only one left and its so loose he can spin it with his fingers. Her grandfather thinks she should let the mbole mechanic tow the car and repair the damage he has done but understandably she doesnt trust him. We thought about calling him in the morning and saying pay up to the garage who has the car or we go to trading standards/sue your butt.

Can someone please advise Im not sure how best to help her and shes in such a state I want to do the right thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the mobile mechainic must be informed in the first instance and given the option to inspect and either confirm or deny the claims made against him - i suggest this is done in the presence of an independant witness..

if he admits liability then you have the option of getting him to rectify the work or getting another 3rd party (another independant garage) to repair the vehicle at costs agreed with him ..

if he denies the claims and refuses to rectify/repair the vehicle then i'm afraid its going to be a small claims court and a long and protracted process - good luck and keep us posted

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thank you for the reply. I spoke to him on the phone he said he would take the car and look at it i said its down to my friend but we have been advised that its not something that could happen by accident he just grunted (i recorded the phone call incase he tried to say anything another time)

He doesnt seem to want to admit liability and understandably she doesnt trust him to rectify the problem given it was obviously his incompetence that caused it (3 mechanics agree). I never heard of 4 bolts going and the engine just dropping. Sorry to add another question but it is possible for them to just go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Highly unlikely for that many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looks like Im calling tomorrow and telling him he's gettin his rear end sued.

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Not meaning to be rude but you haven't given him a chance to rectify this problem or inspect the car,now why would he admit responsibility to something he hasn't seen ?

You have to give him a chance to inspect it and then he might say fair enough i will either sort it or refund you your money,i know you dont trust him to fix it but you have to be seen to give him a chance to settle this without going to court or a lawyers.

Now after all that if he still denies it then you are well within your rights to contact your lawyer and sue his ass off,but i would give him a chance to see what he has to say.

Only my opinion no matter how many garages say its his fault i would still give him a chance to explain himself and provide him with reports from all 3 mechanics

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

IIRC if your recording a conversation you need to have told him that you are doing so. Cannot remember why though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by chinarose87 View Post
    Looks like Im calling tomorrow and telling him he's gettin his rear end sued.

you need to give him the option to view the vehicle as per my post above - dont go in all guns blazing - difficult to back down or escalate from there is required..

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Not meaning to be rude but you haven't given him a chance to rectify this problem or inspect the car,now why would he admit responsibility to something he hasn't seen ?

You have to give him a chance to inspect it and then he might say fair enough i will either sort it or refund you your money,i know you dont trust him to fix it but you have to be seen to give him a chance to settle this without going to court or a lawyers.

Now after all that if he still denies it then you are well within your rights to contact your lawyer and sue his ass off,but i would give him a chance to see what he has to say.

Only my opinion no matter how many garages say its his fault i would still give him a chance to explain himself and provide him with reports from all 3 mechanics
    yep agreed Don as per my initial post...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    IIRC if your recording a conversation you need to have told him that you are doing so. Cannot remember why though.

The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted

hth regards
    Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi sorry to hear of your predicament. Standards say that he must have the option of rectifying the problem. If he refuses, then you can take the car to some one else to fix and find out if it was negligence, then once you have evidence and a costs incured bill then it's a small claims process. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers Dez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information