Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insignia Dual Exhaust Conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

very nice job, my saab diesel has twin exhausts but they are downturned and hidden by the valance. Much prefer your look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by amos View Post
    Will this affect the warranty & performance due to the compression from the exhaust has been altered

Amos

Warranty no, as the exhaust only carries a 12 month warranty anyway. But the new exhaust silencer and Irmscher Y piece carry a 12 month guarantee in theri own right anyway.

Performance will have no negative effects. If anything it will run a little smoother as the system is a little less restrictive. Irmscher will have done their homework on the flow when they designed the Y peice and would not be allowed to do it if performance was effected. The MY2011 Insignia Twin Turbo Diesel will also have a twin exit exhaust.

I have now done 800 miles since it was done as MPG is not effected, it runs a little better. I did the same to my last two 1.9's and they were fine. If fact the Signum when done back to back on the rolling road at Northampton RR saw 156bhp and 248lb/ft.

Quote Originally Posted by rob 2.2dti View Post
    very nice job, my saab diesel has twin exhausts but they are downturned and hidden by the valance. Much prefer your look.
    Which Saab have you got, I thought the only diesel with twin exhaust was the 180PS AERO TTiD, and they are exposed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Warranty on the engine I was thinking because compression & back pressure having changed can it be a way out for Vauxhall if there is engine problems.

Amos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is the 'Y' piece the same as the Vectra one, someone has one for sale on the forum and I was wondering if they are the same part number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by amos View Post
    Warranty on the engine I was thinking because compression & back pressure having changed can it be a way out for Vauxhall if there is engine problems.

Amos
    There will be no warranty issues on the engine, the difference in back pressure is so small it's not even worth worrying about.

Already checked with a contact at Vauxhall, no issues to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by iang27 View Post
    Is the 'Y' piece the same as the Vectra one, someone has one for sale on the forum and I was wondering if they are the same part number.
    Nope, completely different, nothing on vectra is compatible with Insignia apart from the odd engine component.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks ill get mine sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    There will be no warranty issues on the engine, the difference in back pressure is so small it's not even worth worrying about.

Already checked with a contact at Vauxhall, no issues to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mav, you know when you say use the 2ltr Turbo right side back box, do you know if the 'Y' piece from that model can also be used instead of the Irmscher one ??

Is the sleeve you mention to fit over the two sections that are to be joined together or is the 'y' piece slightly bigger than the back box pipe diameter so fits over it anyway ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by iang27 View Post
    Mav, you know when you say use the 2ltr Turbo right side back box, do you know if the 'Y' piece from that model can also be used instead of the Irmscher one ??

Is the sleeve you mention to fit over the two sections that are to be joined together or is the 'y' piece slightly bigger than the back box pipe diameter so fits over it anyway ?
    No you can't use the 2.0 Y section as they have a 1.75" diameter on both sides. This would severely restrict the engine.

The Irmscher Y peice has the correct 2.0 CDTi diameter on the left hand side, which keeps things as they should, then the right hand side is sleeved down to match the 2.0T's 1.75".

You could argue that having 1.75" either side would work out the same as the single CDTi, but the 2.0T diamter is smaller on the centre section, so you would get a major restriction BEFORE the pipe splits either side.

Get the Irmscher Y peice, £120 sounds alot, but it's designed for the diesel and you get the exhaust hanger with it which retails at about £37 from Vauxhall on it's own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Works Cost's

Hi Mav,

I am new to this site and would appreciate your assistant in attaining the total cost of the Right hand box, Bumper trim and where to source these parts (I understand the Y peice inc.Sliencer hanging bracket is £120).

Any indication as to the labour costs involved, as I too have a Insignia 160 SRI.

Many thanks

Ardren

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I had the dual exit exhaust conversion fitted today and it looks so much better for it I think.

Parts needed :-

Right hand box from Insignia 2.0T.
    Y Peice
    Bumper Trim
    Silencer hanging bracket.

It is for sure worth getting the Y peice from Irmscher, as you get the hanging bracket with the Y peice, and the hanging bracket is about £30 from Vauxhall alone.

This is not as easy as doing the Vectra or Signum as there is a little bit of fabrication to do. When the 2.0 Twin Turbo Diesel arrives, it should be an easier conversion as there will be a diesel right hand box.

On the ramp and the bumper trim is swapped for the dual exit part.

You can now see the right hand silencer bracket that simply bolts in place using two 13mm head bolts, there are captive nuts welded in place on the chassis.

From underneath.

After looking at the instructions of where to cut, the existing exhaust is cut and the section removed.

The Y piece is then fitted in place and the left hand silencer re-fitted.

A sleeve was then made to mate the right hand silencer to the Y peice. The sharp eyed will notice two clamps.

Originally the sleeve was going to be welded to the silencer but I wanted it clamped on, mainly because if the silencer ever got damaged, it can be replaced without any custom work to be done to make it fit.

Then after a little adjustment, the job was done.

I am very pleased with the result, and it looks totally factory which is what I like.

Opinions always appreciated!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information