0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Old "New" Tyres

I bought a pair of new Dunlop SP 3000A tyres via ebay last week, from a tyre dealer, for £135 (the pair). Stupidly, I forgot to ask beforehand what the date of manufacture was (stamped on the side). When they arrived, I couldn't believe it - the manufacture date was 13th week of 2003, almost exactly 7 years old. You're not supposed to fit tyres that were made more than 6 years ago, and personally I'd prefer them to be even newer than that.

I emailed the seller, telling him the tyres are sufficiently old to be deemed unsafe, and he replied saying that's rubbish, tyres are safe even if they're made 20 years ago and he wouldn't give a refund. The guy must have assumed I was some kind of sap, so I replied back stating that I didn't need him to agree with me, even if the tyres were fine (which they're not), I'm still entitled to a full refund, including the delivery charge I paid, because of the Distance Selling Regulations. I also pointed out that he's registered as a business seller on ebay, and if he flouts the DSR I'd report him to ebay and also PayPal. He replied saying that he'd refund the purchase price, but not the delivery fee.

I replied back saying I didn't need to negotiate with him, as the DSR is clearly on my side, and finally he agreed to give a full refund (including the delivery charge I'd paid him) if I returned the tyres to him.

The tyres have been sent back, he's now refunded my money, and put the two tyres back on sale, still not mentioning in the advert that they're 7 years old.

SO, moral of this story? Always ask the tyre seller when the tyres were manufactured - and don't believe him/her if they say "don't know".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting read this as I didnt know that either!!!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should have slashed them as they are unfit!
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well spotted Jezzy and quite right too
    tyres over 5 years in age would be very susceptable to perishing and the sidewalls could have failed leading to a blow out

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    SO, moral of this story? Always ask the tyre seller when the tyres were manufactured - and don't believe him/her if they say "don't know".
    Report the seller to Tradings Standards, clearly in the wrong and needs to be served with a notice of concern

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is certainly not on, think I would be getting back onto the dealer where you bought them. I dont think I would be accepting those at all.
    1 yr perhaps or even 2 yrs at a push if the price was right, but not 7yrs.. no way!

I was aware of the manufacter date on tyres, and is something I check when buying new tyres, I had 4 new tyres fitted to my last BMW costing around £500 and asked the date before they fitted them, but all were made in late 2009 anyway. Always worth checking though.

The tyres on my new 330i purchased in December I noticed were manufactured 0941, so not too many weeks before I bought the car, which is a handy indication too of how long a new cars been hanging around, though BMW do put a manufacter date sticker on their cars anyway, usually on underside of the bonnet or near the front of the wing.

I would return them and get your money back!. That rubbers knackered before your've used them.
    Last edited by 67688c; 8th March 2010 at 18:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaux-Man-G View Post
    Interesting read this as I didnt know that either!!!

This actually cropped up in a thread a couple of years ago after someone on here had a accident due to a tyre wall blowing despite the fact his tyres had been bought new a couple of weeks before. (at least I think it was on here...lol)

I think they have been putting the date on tyres for some time now, but I think it only became law within the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 67688c View Post
    That is certainly not on, think I would be getting back onto the dealer where you bought them. I dont think I would be accepting those at all.
    1 yr perhaps or even 2 yrs at a push if the price was right, but not 7yrs.. no way!

I was aware of the manufacter date on tyres, and is something I check when buying new tyres, I had 4 new tyres fitted to my last BMW costing around £500 and asked the date before they fitted them, but all were made in late 2009 anyway. Always worth checking though.

The tyres on my new 330i purchased in December I noticed were manufactured 0941, so not too many weeks before I bought the car, which is a handy indication too of how long a new cars been hanging around, though BMW do put a manufacter date sticker on their cars anyway, usually on underside of the bonnet or near the front of the wing.

I would return them and get your money back!. That rubbers knackered before your've used them.

Sorry matey just read your post again, ignore above..(I'm going stupid) but glad to see you returned them and got your money back. Just not worth gambling on tyres, you did the right thing... well done!
    As others have stated, the pratt who sold them needs teaching a lesson.
    Last edited by 67688c; 8th March 2010 at 18:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can this trader be named and shamed so that we do not make the mistake of buying from him etc as I am also looking at a set of tyres on the bay at the moment (different brand though).. Nice tip on this date thing though, i had no idea about that and will be sure to ask before i bid..
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they have not been mounted then they would be fine, My friends Cosworth still has the orginal Dunlops that it rolled out of the factory on nearly 20 years ago, needless to say he doesn't use it but it passes the MOT each year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information