Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CDTI 150 Auto or Manual

Hey everyone finally made the decision that im gonna go for a 150 diesel. Firstly i was looking for a 120 for reliability but ive finally talked myself into a 150. I reckon i would regret the 120 upon driving out the garage. Im looking at an 2008 150 too in the hope of limited problems with the swirl flaps.

One thing i am undecided in is whether or not to go for an auto or manual. Ive never owned an auto car but always enjoyed driving them in the USA and can see that there is only a marginal difference in performance. My only concern is MPG, is the difference really what the figures suggest ? From what i read its around 8mpg between manual and automatic.

I need to purchase in the next two days so if anyone has any experiences then your input would be much appreciated!!

Cheeeers!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : shatch- sports hatch

Trim : cheap plastics

Engine : metal

Year : 1901

Mileage : 999

I've just bought a 1.9 cdti 150 bhp auto myself,and i still have my vectra b 2.2 dti 130 bhp sri,i'm getting more mpg from the vectra c than i do from the b and the cdti auto seems to be just as fast,if not faster than my vectra b,and i'm really enjoying the auto box driving too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by akelly1 View Post
    One thing i am undecided in is whether or not to go for an auto or manual. Ive never owned an auto car but always enjoyed driving them in the USA and can see that there is only a marginal difference in performance. My only concern is MPG, is the difference really what the figures suggest ? From what i read its around 8mpg between manual and automatic.

I need to purchase in the next two days so if anyone has any experiences then your input would be much appreciated!!

Cheeeers!!

I'm quite a late convert to auto cars, having alway's driven manual's for 40-odd yrs. I would'nt go back to a manual now other other than the odd occasion when I need to of course. Absolutely love my auto, and modern auto's are now so smooth in their gear changes, much faster too from a standing start than a manual box, no clutch judder, and no DMF issues either, just 100% stall free... smooth starts, and fantastic in traffic.

8 mpg difference is a little more than I would have expected, was this on a older 5 speed box. ? My previous BM 2ltr 318i SE 6 speed auto used to return around the 36mpg locally, but went over the 40 mark on runs. My current 330i 6 cyls, is quite pokey at 272bhp but it still returns around the 28/29mpg mark, which for a big powerful auto is not bad at all.

GM/VX auto boxes BTW have quite a good reputation for reliability, the fact you have no drive clutch or DMF's to worry about is a big plus, and you can always slip it into manual mode anyway.

Just wish I'd bought one for myself years ago, and BTW don't worry about the concern you may forget yourself when going back into a manual car afterwards, after driving manuals for years you simply don't forget, after a couple of minutes it's second nature again.

It's surprising how many drivers will instantly dis-miss automatics, with the argument they are unreliable etc. without actually having driven a modern auto themselves. I dont know how old the vehicle is you may be buying, but if contemplating a Auto try and get the 6 speed box version, which I believe VX introduced from late 2005 onwards.

Honestly... drive one for a week and I doubt you will go back to a manual ever again, and certainly worth 3 or 4 MPG sacrifice for, but these days on most late model auto's there is hardly any difference in MPG from the manual's. Some newer model cars now have 7 speed and in a few cases even 8 speed boxes.
    Last edited by 67688c; 7th March 2010 at 02:30.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm averaging 48mpg in my sri150 57 reg auto doing a 70 mile round trip to work daily mostly on b roads.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate Automatic

Trim : Elegance

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage shouldn't be a thing to consider when buying a car. At least not when it comes to the same car, but different gearbox (manual or auto).

The only thing to consider, from my point of view, is whether the car's automatic gearbox was well maintained. We are talking of a previously owned vehicle, so this is a crucial part of its' life: how it was driven and if it was properly maintained.

If it has full service history and what it's written there is good, then it's a winner. If not, check it more carefully. Run it in all gears, up and down. Cover as many situations as possible in the short time you have to test it before you buy it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have recently converted to auto and wouldn't go back to a manual. As others have said the autos are much improved, and you can still drive it as a semi auto with the sequential shift if you wish.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was always sceptical of auto boxes having been brought up in hot hatch manuals, living in the North East of Scotland we have some fantastic roads that beg to be driven hard and the auto box would just not be the same. The while living abroad all the cars were auto and on return to UK in 2006 the wife demanded an auto. We bought a new 56 plate Vectra-c CDTI 150 auto Sri estate with the vxr kit and I can honestly say that I don't miss the manual one bit, my son has a manual and its a pain to drive now. You have the option of using the box as a full auto or for the more spirited drive you can use the semi-auto option. As far as mpg goes, the wife gets on av. 37-39 mpg with is combo of running the 3 miles into town 2 or 3 times a day or the city 20 miles away. I get about 35 av doing the same but with slightly heavier feet. On long motorway cruises 4 up and full of luggage and sitting between 75 - 80 I am getting about 45 mpg.
    All in all I cannot fault the car (egr valve aside) and would definitely recommend the auto box against the manual option.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have an auto and unless you want to drive everywhere like Lewis Button or Jenson Hamilton etc... I don't see the point of a manual anymore, especially in heavy traffic. Average 40mpg.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for all your replies. Just been reading some other threads about the 150 CDTI auto and cant believe thats its gonna cost £215 a year to tax too. Well ive narrowed it down to two cars both 2008 plates one manual and one auto. Decisions decisions!!! Need to decide before Monday evening so its time to haggle!! I let you all know how i get on.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate Automatic

Trim : Elegance

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Money decide: flip the coin. :d Just joking. Pick the one you like most, drive both before buying. If you do that, I think I know which one you'll choose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information