Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default And so the blanking of the EGR begins...Z19DTH

Well after having all the inlet manifold, EGR and swirl actuator replaced the other day, I have now started my blanking the EGR project.

I have initialy blanked it off all together by fitting a metal plate between the inlet side of the EGR and the exhaust take off pipe, it was a bit of a pig to get in as the take of pipe is rigid but a bit of brute force and ignorance and some easy gasket and all is fitted and sealed.

So what now!, well MIL on showing 0400 EGR gas flow problem!, No suprise there, but how does the car drive.
    Very well, the turbo definately spools up quicker but I only took it for a short drive before trying the next step.

From the forums, different people have varying levels of success with the FIAT restrictor plates, some like me have no problems restricting the flow heavily, yet others get a fault with the slightest restriction, yet engines etc are identical, so what can be different?
    Possibly the ECU has learnt differently!.

According to literature from Pierburg, the ECU learns the values from sensors including MAF when first started from fresh, so I have disconnected the battery and will leave it for at least half an hour before reconnecting, the ECU should then learn what the air flows are like with the EGR open and shut and I'm hoping may set these as basepoints to detect out of limits and throw of the 0400 fault code.

If it throws up the fault, then there is a bit more inteligence to the system rather than a simple compare, but I have to start somewhere and this is the easiest and cheapest first step!.

If it fails, I have to start making things which might take a while.

One big plus point so far is that the car runs perfectly, no longer sucks soot into the intake, turbo spools faster, less flat spot, better low range performance...
    Downside, a small yellow light!.

At the moment, this is just a pending code so it is not putting the car into limp home mode and I don't know if it will, but just to be on the safe side, I'll be taking my fault code reader / reseter with me and will leave it plugged in whilst driving to and from work today.

Will let you know how I get on.

Anyhow, it's half an hour, I'll leave it a bit longer then reconnect in a bit.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Might be off interest to you, I had my car remaped last week to stop the regen of the DPF that I removed and the guy was able to disable the egr as well. Once the faults for the missing DPF and my swirl valve rod that had fallen off cleared I've had no spanner light and car drives very well . The car is now getting 46mpg, I've never seen an average of over 44mpg since new and of late it's been closer to 40mpg.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've heard this can be done, but alas I have no TECH2 equipment as this would be the ideal solution.

Don't suppose anyone knows anybody in or close to Wolverhampton with the necessary equipment to be able to do this?.

Anyway, disconnecting the battery did nothing, still detects the blanked off EGR.

Car runs very well indeed and I was quite amazed at how quick it went but as it was with the restrictor plates fitted, the engine definately feels coarser below about 1700 rpm, it's like you can start to feel the individual power spikes from each cylinder as vibration from the engine whilst it feels a lot smoother albeit with less power with a standard EGR setup.

On the way down the revs, it looks like the EGR starts to open at 2000rpm as this was when the EML would come on and would come on after a delay from tickover so there is no hard and fast it opens at 1600 rpm rule but it can open anywhere below 2000 rpm.

If I had the resources I would make a patch lead for the MAF, the EGR and the boost sensor so that I could monitor all the signals on an oscilloscope, then it would be easy to make a little box of tricks one could plug in and fool the car that there is a working EGR system present, but I simply don't have the equipment to do this.

I will run the car as is for a week to see if there are any unforseen problems then I guess I'll have to start making my air injector mod.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fiat blanking fitted & no problems on the test drive - I'll find out if there's any improvement this afternoon when I've had a decent run

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Dont know if op-com would be able to disable the egr ?, but its a thought, im following this as i have the fiat gasket ready for when i replace the manifold, also have op-com.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP NAV

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S100 View Post
    Fiat blanking fitted & no problems on the test drive - I'll find out if there's any improvement this afternoon when I've had a decent run
    I'd be surprised if you noticed much (if any) difference to be honest, its more of a preventative mod really.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Quote Originally Posted by the-wizard View Post
    Dont know if op-com would be able to disable the egr ?, but its a thought, im following this as i have the fiat gasket ready for when i replace the manifold, also have op-com.
    Not a tech2'able item either, its when the new map is loaded with something like kwpflash or whatever flashing program it is, its contained within the map itself i believe.
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_BlackSRi View Post
    I'd be surprised if you noticed much (if any) difference to be honest, its more of a preventative mod really.
    I did 120 miles yesterday after cleaning the boost sensor & there was a definite improvement & I've just done another 50 miles after fitting the Fiat blanking gasket & the response below 2000rpm is much better, the car hasn't run this well for years

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Think how much of an improvement blanking it off all together is!.

Anyhows, I've done 70 miles yesterday and although the car runs well, the ECU dosen't like it.
    Had the car with the spanner coming on and off then last night the engine symbol lit up, car still ran perfectly, so I cleared all the faults and continued home. After a while the car and spanner lit up, then went off and stayed off until I pulled onto the drive.
    I suspect I'll get the engine light again in a bit.

I may have to put the penny washer back and allow some gases through until I can make my air injector mod.

Or buy a laptop and necessary software to monitor values with and without the blank fitted so I can get a better understanding of what signals I have to fool, thinking along the grounds of using the EGR signal to drive a transistor, which would switch a resistor down to ground on the MAF signal to fool it into thinking the air flow has dropped, but I need to monitor how much and wether this is what happens.

Anyone know of anyone getting rid of an oldish laptop they no longer need?, needs to have usb, 1024 x 768 screen would be just fine.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

If the ECU doesnt like it take it to a dealer and get them to switch the valve off then you will have piece.

Gazza4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information