Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Insurance question ...

I currently run 2 cars so have two policies.

Policy 1 has maximum (protected) NCB.
    Policy 2 was taken out this time last year when I got the second car so has zero NCB.

In September last year I was involved in an accident while driving the car insured under policy 2. The accident wasn't my fault and the other driver was subsequently charged and found guilty but the whole thing has taken ages to sort out and my insurer still hadn't got their money back at the renewal date so the claim was still officially classed as 'pending'. As a result my insurance premium has almost doubled! I've been told that they will credit me the year's NCB when they do get their money but that my premium will still be much higher than last year as apparently I'm statistically more likely to have another accident (even though the last one wasn't my fault!).

Anyhow, I can cope with the above but Policy 1 is now due for renewal so I'm in the process of getting quotes. One of the standard questions is "have you had any accidents or claims in the last three years?". Now, I've always thought that meant any accidents or claims on any policy so I've been answering yes and lo and behold the premium for Policy 1 has also doubled! However, one of the insurance companies I spoke to seemed to reckon that the question only applied to the policy in question (i.e. have you made any claims on *this* policy) so I should be answering no. What do you lot reckon? The last thing I want is an insurer refusing a claim because they think I've lied on my application.

TBH, I'm extremely narked about the whole thing. The accident wasn't my fault; there's nothing I can do to expedite the paperwork; yet I'm going to end up paying almost £800 *!extra!* this year in insurance, which BTW is a damn sight more than the other driver was eventually fined.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When they ask you have you had any accidents in the past x years, they mean at all - regardless of what policy it was under.

What narks me with my recent accident is that if I go to change insurers next year and get asked that question I'll have to say I've had two accidents - three months apart!! The first one totally not my fault as I was hit from behind - the second, unfortunately my fault, as I hit somebody from behind. So I'll have to 'strikes' against my name even though one was completely not my fault.

I can't see how insurance companies can say you are statistically more likely to have another accident when somebody has hit you from behind!!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If they're gonna play the same policy for all routine, then they should have awarded you max bonus on policy 2 right from inception.

Myself I think you'd be best off going with the insurer who says one dont effect the other, and explain that you'd like a copy of a covering note to say you have shown the other policy accident at renewal, and have someone in authority sign it as well.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Most insurers only take account for "Fault claims" - where they have not been able to recover their costs. "No Fault claims" where they have got their money back shouldnt double the premium - but you must disclose all accidents on all policies I'm afraid.

Thread Information