Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Signum from battery to boot

Hi all.I wish to take a single core cable from the battery under bonnet to the boot of the car to use on a caravan relay.I have read on this forum that glove box removal is fairly easy and I should be able to pass the cable through around that area.I cannot find any info on interior sill and pillar trim removal and was hoping to thread the cable under edge of carpet.Anybody done anything similar,is it going to be a seats out job is is everything relatively straight foreward.Thank you for reading.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can probably - depending on cable size - just tuck it under the trim, however its mostly just clipped in. Remove the footwell side kick plate - few torx screws - and then just tug away, Its pretty flexable so I doube it would need removing fully.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are you running a lot of juice through this cable? If not, you can find a live, unused slot in the fuse box on the left hand side of the boot.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Forgive my curiousity, but was wondering why you dont pickup a feed from the distribution unit positioned behind the panel on left hand side of the boot area, I'm assuming the signum also has the electric distribution panel located there same as other models. If so there are permanent 12v feeds there.

Please ignore.. if not applicable for what you want to do.

Edit.. just noticed jezzy posted this suggestion too..lol.

Thats where all my electrics were wired into when VX fitted the towbar, I believe VX also do a proper towing loom quite cheap.
    Last edited by 67688c; 1st March 2010 at 18:56.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies.The car allready as single electrics wired via a smart relay,nothing is taken from the fuse box.I have purchased a smart sensing relay to use for the second electrics,capable current is 30 amp to run large fridge and charge caravan battery.Instructions for the relay suggest direct to battery wiring with inline fuse.If there is a 12v feed in boot that can supply that sort of power i would be interested in using that.Does sound like the trim comes of pretty easy though.Also want to add a cig lighter socket to the boot area for a cooler,will tap into wires from were signum travel assistant should be,dont use this.Unless again anyone knows better.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have put a wire from the engine of my signum to the boot, take glove box out, thread wire through a gromit from the engine bay. Down side of car when you open doors their is a rubber strip push the wire in between the strip and trim and it goes all the way to rear of car then threaded it throught the side trim using a bit or wire. pulled it out to the fuse box area where i wired in my accesories.

Their is also a nice spare 12v source in the rear fuse box for a cig lighter

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that eaglepva.Is that the rubber that sits on the sill ??.Did you thread inside or lift away at top then ease down.How did you get the wire into it without it bieng seen.I cant see were the chanel ends in boot area ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by nalaremlap View Post
    Thanks for the replies.The car allready as single electrics wired via a smart relay,nothing is taken from the fuse box.I have purchased a smart sensing relay to use for the second electrics,capable current is 30 amp to run large fridge and charge caravan battery.Instructions for the relay suggest direct to battery wiring with inline fuse.If there is a 12v feed in boot that can supply that sort of power i would be interested in using that.Does sound like the trim comes of pretty easy though.Also want to add a cig lighter socket to the boot area for a cooler,will tap into wires from were signum travel assistant should be,dont use this.Unless again anyone knows better.
    I used to charge the vans 110amp leisure battery, and a full size fridge while towing, but cannot say with certainty that all the feeds were taken from the rear electrics panel. I assumed they were, as I never saw anything to indicate they had run a cable to the front.
    Charging the battery would not be a issue, though I dont know what sort of wattage your fridge may be. I thought most modern caravan fridges were around the 90w-110w mark, drawing about 9amp..

12v x 30a= total of 360watts, so that's catering for quite a heavy load, and no way would your fridge be drawing that kind of load of course.

Have a look in the fridge paperwork to see if you can find out what wattage it is, and then just divide it by 12v and that will give the amperage required.... it may give you some idea whether you can get away with picking the feed up from the rear panel. Personally I think you can safely do so, but just check what the fridge consumes when running on 12v first.

In view that 'eaglepva' needed to run his fridge feed to the front, then it simply may be necessary, if only for safety's sake. Is there not a 'Howto' on the forum where other's have wired in their own van electrics. ? Sure I've seen one in the past.
    Last edited by 67688c; 1st March 2010 at 19:55.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 30 amp mentioned,covers all electrics involved with the second socket.Still a bit overkill I think.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yes the rubber down the sill, i just used a piece of plastic or a screwdriver would do it and lifted it up a bit and pushed the wire under their is a nice gap that the wire slips into threaded it all the way to the boot, this how 2 might help.
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75327

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information