User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many of You Are Members of the IAM ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How Many of You Are Members of the IAM ?

I've noticed we are fortunate to have quite a large number of members on here who have taken the 'Institute of Advanced Motorists' course.

I have taken 2 caravan towing course, over the years, and I also used to be a instructor at W/ton Motorcycle Club on Sundays only many years ago where as part of a Instructor team (DDA) we endevoured to teach the youngsters to pass their part 1 tests.

However I have never taken the IAM course.

Mainly because I considered the scheme to be more of a money raising organisation than anything else. Especially as once you pass the IAM test you have to continue paying £30 each year (£28 direct debit) to keep your membership, fail to pay and you are no longer a member of the IAM.
    So thats £30 every single year just to keep your membership up.

Also in reality it seems very few insurance companies give any discount for memebership, and those that do require your IAM membership number.
    So unless you pay your £30 every year, membership is not valid and neither is the membership number, as a new membership card is issued each year when renewed. The insurance discount needs to be more than £30 just to break even.

It just seems strange that some forum members will pay £30 every year for membership of the IAM but begrudge paying 4 pence a day to this most excellent motoring forum.... hmmmm.. strange!
    that's their choice of course.

So come on you guys that have taken the trouble to hone your skills, by paying £30 a year for the IAM, is it worth taking. ?

Tell us all about it! ?

What do you get for your £30 a year membership.? (beside a replacement membership card)

http://www.iam.org.uk/membership_of_the_iam/

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Look's like they may have all let their membership expire!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm really interested in this IAM thing, I'd just like to do it to see what kind of driver I am and were I can improve things. I just cant seem to find anything close to me. (Lazy? Me???)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have it had it for a couple of years. tbh the money i save on insurance is worth the £30

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP1

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 66000

My insurance company don't offer any discounts (and others were way too expensive) so I ditched it, but used to get a thrilling newsletter

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You should've made this a poll. There have been quite a few on here mentioning that they're members but this way it's more awkward to reply.

I'm a member. Been a member for umpteen years. Any club costs something each year to belong and £30 isn't worth bothering about IMHO (half a tank!). It's worth taking their driving course and test because there's no doubt at all that it improves your driving (unless like a few on here you're perfect already ). It's not worth staying a member unless you're keen on the sort of activities they get up to (driving competitions, safety tests etc.) because the special offers aren't really worth much if anything. Same as any other club really.
    Last edited by boba; 2nd March 2010 at 10:34.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can the mods make this a poll? rather than doing a new thread and merging it etc?

Are you an IAM Member? Yes or No.

People can elaborate then in the thread as to their reasons.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes boba I was going to add a Poll, but as usual, I spent too long thinking about it, ie. got distracted by grandchild..lol and the 10 mins time limit ran out...

Anyway, after some careful consideration, and despite my reservations, and comments in original post, I have just signed up for the course myself, yep a bit hypocritical I know. I still suspect it's likely a waste of time and money, but the only way to find out is go and find out for oneself.

Thought I'd go and find out what it's all about, got nothing to lose, and it will give me something to do..lol Cost BTW is £139 in case anyone else is considering it, TBH not so much as I thought it would be.

So just waiting to hear back, with all the details etc. I suspect TBH I've probably just wasted £139, but it may be interesting if nothing else.
    Only thing that concerns me is will I be rated down because I now drive a automatic, in which case I'll use a manual car for the course, just need to check that out.

Funny enough I'm quite looking forward to it. Bet you never thought I'd be doing this... did you.. after my comments.

I asked the wife if she was game for it too, but she says a definate NO!

Will let you all know how I get on.

John.. I think only the original poster can request a Poll, but Yes if one of the Mods can add a quick Poll that would be great.
    Last edited by 67688c; 2nd March 2010 at 11:50.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 67688c View Post
    Only thing that concerns me is will I be rated down because I now drive a automatic, in which case I'll use a manual car for the course, just need to check that out.
    Automatics are allowed of course (not least because they're all that some people can physically drive. I suppose that some members do look down on them a bit and you'd be expected to make full use of the box's capabilities.

Also on the subject of driving aids, using cruise control is also frowned on (even if it's the only way you can stay within the limits).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    Automatics are allowed of course (not least because they're all that some people can physically drive. I suppose that some members do look down on them a bit and you'd be expected to make full use of the box's capabilities.

Also on the subject of driving aids, using cruise control is also frowned on (even if it's the only way you can stay within the limits).
    I've always had manual boxes myself, I used to frown on auto boxes too, in the past always coming up with reasons like reliability issues, increased fuel consumption etc.

However last year I borrowed my sons CLK Merc, which happened to be a auto, and I was quite impressed, then later in the year when he bought a new BMW 330i, it was superb. So smooth, and yet it was much faster through the changes from stationary than any manual I've driven.
    The smoothness of a 3-ltr 6cyls knocking out 272bhp is quite nice i can tell you, and that was it, I decided stuff the money... I want one! most I've ever spent on a car, and I received it December, so a nice xmas treat to myself... and I love it! As you can see from my Avatar mines a saloon version(which I prefer) The M-sport coupe version my son drives knocks out 306bhp, which probably explains why he needs new rear tyres every 9/10k miles.... youngsters..eh!.. mind you, he is now in his forties...lol

The latest auto's now have 7 speed boxes, and some new ones even 8 speed, and these days they are ultra smooth as far as changes go, they really have come on a long way. Fuel consumption too has improved a lot on auto's, computer on mine is currently showing 29.3 which for local use is not bad at all considering the power. If conditions on motorways are good I still rarely go much above 80 for obvious reasons, but I must admit I still like to feel that head jerking sensation ocasionally, I think it's around 0-60 in something like 6 seconds so it does'nt hang around.

I should'nt be talking like this should I if I'm to pass this IAM test...lol, but honestly matey once your've driven a good powerful modern auto you would be smitten.. I'm sure!. They make driving so easy, and yet, you can still enjoy a more sportier drive by using the paddles and change yourself.

As you may tell, I've been totally converted, which I never thought I would be after driving manuals all the time, TBH I doubt I would buy another manual after this car.
    Last edited by 67688c; 2nd March 2010 at 19:50.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information