User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I got my wheels balanced (again)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How I got my wheels balanced (again)

Just been through the business of trying to get my wheels balanced properly, after having to replace one of the front Michelins (Primacy HP XL 225-45-17) at £110, a few weeks ago, on my V6 CDTI.

First had steering vibrations at 65+, then had both fronts rebalanced at the local stealers whilst being serviced – results were worse! Sounds familiar??

Next did some research on the internet, started by looking for a local Hunter equipped tyre shop. Nearest was 30+ miles away (apart from the local Jaguar-Bentley dealer which I didn’t bother with!). Then found that accurate balancing depends on the way in which wheels are mounted on the balancer. Just using the centre hole to locate the wheel is not good enough, and often gives different results every time you balance the wheel. The recommended way is to locate the wheel with a stud / flange plate, so that the wheel is mounted accurately and vertically through the stud-holes, just as it would be on the car. This obviously takes longer, and means you have to find a place which is equipped with stud plates suitable for a variety of cars (they’re not all the same), and staffed by people that know what they’re doing, and why they’re doing it.

Finally found a place this week which recommends and uses stud plates, and also does a lot of high performance work (Ferraris / Porsche / Astons). They did all 4 in about 45 minutes, on a Hoffman balancer, for £30. Results were impressive, smooth at all speeds. Well worth the 25 mile trip each way.

The subject of flange plates has been mentioned before on the forum, but it’s worth airing again, particularly as so many people seem to have trouble with their wheels from time to time.

The trouble is also that the punter doesn’t always get to see the job being done, but for starters its worth asking if they’re using a stud / flange plate or not.

Read more about it on this web-site: (which I found on the earlier post)

http://www.agequipment.co.uk/haweka/Haweka_FlangePlate.html

Was also told that often Peugeot and Citroen dealers are a good bet, as some of their cars have solid wheels (no centre hole), and they often keep the stud plates.

Moral for me is that the cheapest tyre deal doesn’t always work out best in the long run, when you add the extra hassle and cost of fixing problems caused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up

good advise there and interesting read

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeah I've had this. Ordered tyres off camskill, took them to my local kwikfit to get fitted and balanced. Vibration 60+mph. took it back, rebalanced vibration 70mph+ *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes.. some good advice, certainly something worth considering when getting your wheels balanced.

Whenever I had new tyres fitted to the vec-c I always seemed to need to take it in again somewhere else to get them balanced again, at least I did until I found a good tyre dealer with some decent balancing equipment. The Vectra was quite sensitive to wheel balance if not spot on.

For anyone in the Worcester area, I can recommend the guys at the A44 Tyre/Exhaust centre, not the cheapest, but I've never had any issues with them, and wheel balances are spot on, respect your alloy wheels too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I like the sound of that. Worth considering next time round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CJB-V6CDTI View Post
    Just been through the business of trying to get my wheels balanced properly, after having to replace one of the front Michelins (Primacy HP XL 225-45-17) at £110, a few weeks ago, on my V6 CDTI.

First had steering vibrations at 65+, then had both fronts rebalanced at the local stealers whilst being serviced – results were worse! Sounds familiar??

Next did some research on the internet, started by looking for a local Hunter equipped tyre shop. Nearest was 30+ miles away (apart from the local Jaguar-Bentley dealer which I didn’t bother with!). Then found that accurate balancing depends on the way in which wheels are mounted on the balancer. Just using the centre hole to locate the wheel is not good enough, and often gives different results every time you balance the wheel. The recommended way is to locate the wheel with a stud / flange plate, so that the wheel is mounted accurately and vertically through the stud-holes, just as it would be on the car. This obviously takes longer, and means you have to find a place which is equipped with stud plates suitable for a variety of cars (they’re not all the same), and staffed by people that know what they’re doing, and why they’re doing it.

Finally found a place this week which recommends and uses stud plates, and also does a lot of high performance work (Ferraris / Porsche / Astons). They did all 4 in about 45 minutes, on a Hoffman balancer, for £30. Results were impressive, smooth at all speeds. Well worth the 25 mile trip each way.

The subject of flange plates has been mentioned before on the forum, but it’s worth airing again, particularly as so many people seem to have trouble with their wheels from time to time.

The trouble is also that the punter doesn’t always get to see the job being done, but for starters its worth asking if they’re using a stud / flange plate or not.

Was also told that often Peugeot and Citroen dealers are a good bet, as some of their cars have solid wheels (no centre hole), and they often keep the stud plates.

Moral for me is that the cheapest tyre deal doesn’t always work out best in the long run, when you add the extra hassle and cost of fixing problems caused.

hi mate i have a v6 cdti and yes at 70+ i get the stearing shaking ect i thought it was the tyres being low i put air in it improves but jst wondering if i need done what you done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CJB-V6CDTI View Post

so where was the place you went to ?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by marktaylor View Post
    so where was the place you went to ?????
    Went to Wheels in Motion at Chesham.

See: http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

Impressive web site, with a forum devoted to wheel and tyre problems. Lots of interesting stuff on there, and not just on high-performance cars.

Couldn't have been more helpful when I called up. Guess where I'll be going for tyres next time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Can thoroughly recommends harrys place @ The Autowerks (an approved trader on here). They use a flange setup and my wheels have always been spot on. Its the only place I would get them done now... Worth the 1.5hr trip each way!
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now open and able to provide services

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I like the sound of this

The Boss Touchless Tyre Machine radically changes the traditional approach to tyre changing. The fully automated lift removal and fitting service caters for today's bigger rims and wider tyres. The wheel is held securely and the tyre removed effortlessly. Refitting the tyre is like magic: no damage to the rim or your tyre.

Ive had total idiots do my wheels before, had 1 place refurbish a wheel the damage was so bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information