Thread: How Parts of your car work. Interesting Reading Material

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How Parts of your car work. Interesting Reading Material

I'm sure many of you will have already have spent many hours browsing the 'How Stuff Works' website, I've just been reading up myself about autoboxes, really clever stuff, and a fascinating read.

So a reminder for anyone interested in how things actually work, this site is brilliant, and apologies to those who already know it all!..

Want to know how things works on your car then check this out.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-tr...ms-channel.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Q: How does a DMF work?
    A: it doesn't :s lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Why is there a DMF on my car!

They work, but IMO, they just add further complication. Older rear wheel wheel drive cars never needed them, and managed very well with just a solid clutch flywheel. However due to inherent design issue's and increased power output from modern engines they were deemed necessary with most front wheel cars, which is why most cars now have them. AYS... a pity they are not more reliable. I had one fail myself on a Insignia with less than 4k miles on it, and another Insignia we have... had the DMF fail at 24k, Not a cheap fix either if you have to pay.

That's one of the things I like about my 330 BM auto... no DMF, and no main drive clutch, just a lovely smooth oil driven torq converter. Modern 6/7 speed autos are now ultra reliable, and much faster off the line than manual's, and also offer manual s/wheel paddles too.

Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) Description and Function

What is the DMF's function? It is designed to isolate torsional crankshaft spikes created by high power, high torque engines including diesel engines with high compression ratios. By separating the mass of the flywheel between the engines and the transmission, torsional spikes can be isolated, eliminating potential damage to the transmission gear teeth. There are several components:

Engine-side flywheel damper springs: The damper springs that are visible on the engine side of DMF are designed to dampen heavy torsional spikes that occur when the engine's torsional frequency matches the torsional frequency of the transmission. When torsional frequencies match (have the same amplitude), severe damage can occur to the transmission if not isolated. DMF's isolate the torsional frequency match between the engine and transmission to an r.p.m. range below the operating range of the engine (usually between 200-400 r.p.m.). These damper springs only work hard when the engine passes through 200-400 r.p.m. at vehicle start up and shut down.

DMF damper springs and/or damper springs nylon retainers usually fall because the engine is not running correctly. Bad fuel injectors, worn pistol rings, bad valves, etc, will change the resonant frequency of the engine. A change in the resonant frequency of the engine can force the torsional frequency match between the engine and DMF to fall within the operating range of the engine. This forces the damper springs to work continuously, resulting in failure.

Friction Ring: The friction ring located between the inner and outer flywheel is designed to allow the inner and outer flywheel to slip. This feature saves the transmission from damage when torque loads exceed the vehicle rating of the transmission. (Read: Burnouts/high RPM shifts) The friction ring will wear out if excessive torque loads are continuously applied. Loading the vehicle beyond the rated load capacity is often the root cause of friction ring failures in DMF's.

Center Bearing: A sealed double row center ball bearing carries the load between the inner and outer halves of the DMF. The leading cause of center bearing failure is often related to out of balance vibration caused by not aligning the pressure plate with the DMF dowel pins. The center bearing may also fall if the clutch pilot bearing is destroyed by a worn transmission input shaft (see Pilot Bearing) or if the rated load/towing capacity of the vehicle is exceeded.

Pilot Bearing: The pilot bearing supplied with most DMF's is a caged needle roller bearing. If it fails, the transmission input shaft must be repaired or replaced. If the input shaft is not repaired correctly or replaced, the lack of input shaft support will result in DMF center bearing failure.
    Last edited by 67688c; 26th February 2010 at 15:23.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Automatic Transmissions. Wibble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    Automatic Transmissions. Wibble.

Does that mean you dont like auto's matey.?

Ironically... GM VX make some of the most reliable auto boxes around, you never hear of DMF failures on them..lol, in fact I've rarely seen a mention of a GM autobox going faulty in any of the forums.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 67688c View Post
    Does that mean you dont like auto's matey.?

Ironically... GM VX make some of the most reliable auto boxes around, you never hear of DMF failures on them..lol, in fact I've rarely seen a mention of a GM autobox going faulty in any of the forums.
    The old 3.2 autos used to suffer seal failure and collant contamination, but that's about it that I can think of. I tried reading through it all but even though I've played with planetary gear systems before at work I really need a proper animationw ith things actually moving to figure out what it's going on about...

Scary to think these are standard in america, and manuals are the more expensive option...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

The driveshafts and CV joints. We take them for granted. But they are the things that drive the wheels. In themselves they are a work of art. How they can rotate and allow the steering to turn. Whilst still transmitting the drive to the road wheels. You would be supprised at the many hours of testing that goes into the "prototype" before they go into production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : Elite with sports pack

Engine : CDTi 150

Year : 2005

Mileage : 103000

interesting read cheers