Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Recomend me a CCTV camera.

Right been having a few problems on my road with cars suffering vandalism,and i was thinking about getting a CCTV system fitted,can't afford to spend a kings ransom ,but obviously need one that will do the job...?Has anybody fitted one...feedback please would be wellcome.

Mick.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It depends what you want to do. The cheapest way is probs a £30 camera from argus and a old vcr player to record. If you want to capture reg plates etc you will need a much better camera.

You will also need to display signs that you are recording to comply with some sort of privacy laws. If you don't display them any evidence CAN be discounted in court anyway because it is 'illegally obtained' though it is not always.

Also I think there are laws against filming the street anyway. I know at work they can only capture their yard and gate but have to point them away from the road....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post
    It depends what you want to do. The cheapest way is probs a £30 camera from argus and a old vcr player to record. If you want to capture reg plates etc you will need a much better camera.

You will also need to display signs that you are recording to comply with some sort of privacy laws. If you don't display them any evidence CAN be discounted in court anyway because it is 'illegally obtained' though it is not always.

Also I think there are laws against filming the street anyway. I know at work they can only capture their yard and gate but have to point them away from the road....
    ye you do have to be careful with the laws but if it is for your property i believe it carries a different law than to a buisness .
    i dont think there is much of a law for property personal use to be honest but pls check this out on the web and forums .i used a forum called garden law try it out if it still there,and as you have stated it would be for your road and i persume u have seen these caught on camera programs ,they have used cctv to catch vandals so u should be ok

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Your probs right, sorry, but am speaking from experience with regard to busineses...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post
    Your probs right, sorry, but am speaking from experience with regard to busineses...
    yeah we have cctv in work and know that they have to conform with strict laws

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had cheap cctv cam an mounted it next to security light.......anyone set foot on the drive the security light lit up for the camera

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a cctv set up watching my drive and a little bit of the road. One day my next door neighbours car was vandalised on the road (windows put through). When the police came to tke a statement they popped round as she had informed them that I had a camera. Unfortunatley jher car was just out of shot and no one was seen on the camera, but the police did say they didn't notice any signs regarding cctv. I asked if I needed them, but as long as I am not recording other peoples property (e.g spying) and the camera is pointing at my own property (garden / driveway / my own car on the street) then there is no need for notices.

The other thing you are not allowed to do is conceal the fact that a camera is in operation ( e.g. disguise the camera).

so as long as you are doing it for the security and protection of your own property there is no problem.

You would need to check on how long you are allowed to store images for.

From my own experience, make sure you ask about different camera uses, some supposed night cameras with infra red are about as useful as a 5 quid web cam in the dark, but not too bad in daylight. Make sure you know where you are going to position it before buying and it's better to overspec than underspec, e.g. 10 mtr night vision range is ok, but get 20 mtr and it gurantees you'll see everything.

Argos, maplin electronics, etc sell el cheapo cameras, you can even get more expensive ones. Such as wireless or digital recording. Hope you find what you need.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The data protection act doesn't apply to household CCTV so there are really no restrictions on its use. I get this a lot on my area. What you do have to be careful with is the Human Rights Act which covers the Right to Privacy. As long as your camera isn't blatantly intruding on neighbours then its fine.
    The best cameras to get if you dont want to break the budget is the ones from B&Q or like rod said from Maplin, Argos. They are about 70 quid I think. They go straight from the camera to a scart connection which you can hook up to your VCR or digital recorder. There are different variants like motion detection or constant record. Also to go with CCTV I would recommend good Flood lighting as in the darker hours its very difficult for cameras. Even the £1000 systems have trouble at night without decent lighting.
    From experience viewing these cameras for this very reason, try keeping the car as close to the camera as possible. I know with street parking it's hard. If the cameras too far you may see the offender but ID wise it's useless.

Good luck

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

'The main laws governing the instalation use of CCTV is covered by the Data Protection Act 1998 but this only applies to businesses and organisations and NOT to domestic use...'
    http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/c...d-the-law.html

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got myself a Micromark CCTV camera from ebay for £25 and one of the early pre-HD DVDR+HDD recorders again on ebay for £28. Records quite happily for over 90 hours.

At the front of the house I have a Logitec PRO 4000 webcam (£5 on ebay) connected to my laptop, running "Dorgem" software, which is a totally free and does motion sensing OR time lapse recording.
    I can also log onto my website and view my webcam from anywhere in the world, because my laptop is also acting as a permanent webserver through a DNS service.

Note- Do not download Dorgem from anywhere other than "Sourceforge"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information