0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 75yr old Driver of 44ton truck kills Couple

A 75 year old driver of a 44 ton truck admits in court 'He does'nt take much notice of the road' gets 33mths for killing couple when he ploughs into the back of stationary traffic.

Which means he will likely spend less than 15 months in jail.

I've just gone 67yrs and I'm considering quiting driving at 70yrs and I drive a BMW, how the hell can a 75yr old be allowed to drive a 44 ton truck on the road. Surely one would think there's a compulsary age limit for truck and bus drivers... a car out of control is bad enough, but think of the damage a 44 ton truck can do..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tice-road.html

Makes one wonder how old some of the airline pilots are. ? I read that one died of a heart attack a few weeks ago during a flight, though they do have a co-pilot I suppose.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 67688c View Post
    Makes one wonder how old some of the airline pilots are. ? I read that one died of a heart attack a few weeks ago during a flight, though they do have a co-pilot I suppose.
    On that point only, pilots do undergo regualr medical checks to endure they're fit for flight and aren't likely to collapse unexpectedly. Having said that, as you point it it has happened, which is why they have more than one pilot on any airliner, and several more on very long haul flights...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on which region you're based in, some pilots have no choice but to retire at 55, right up to 65.

As for heart attacks, they can happen to anyone - pilots have the fail safe that most modern airplanes can land unaided. Drivers dont have that option unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LGV drivers licences 'expire' at 45, then need a medical every 5 years after that signed off by the doctor to keep the licence valid, then every year after 65

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dad died in 2007 of a sudden massive heart attack at 46yrs, he was a bus driver for stagecoach and drove large coaches and double deckers most of the time, i hate to imagine the kind of damage it could have caused had he been driving a bus full of passengers and had his heart attack then..!

like said it could happen to anyone at anytime..!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 75 year old driver of a 44 ton truck admits in court 'He does'nt take much notice of the road' gets 33mths for killing couple when he ploughs into the back of stationary traffic.

Which means he will likely spend less than 15 months in jail.

I've just gone 67yrs and I'm considering quiting driving at 70yrs and I drive a BMW, how the hell can a 75yr old be allowed to drive a 44 ton truck on the road. Surely one would think there's a compulsary age limit for truck and bus drivers... a car out of control is bad enough, but think of the damage a 44 ton truck can do..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tice-road.html

****** old people, get off the road I say! push off grandad!

hahaha only joking, makes a change for the young 'uns criticising the older people on this forum, doesn't it :P

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67688c just by reading your posts you seem all with it,i would of never know your age of your posts i would have said about 45,i know it souds mad,my grandad would not even know how to turn a computer on but he's nearly 80 and restores old tractors outdoors he gets some shoody looking thing and makes it look like new and changes engines but if he was to post you would tell he's getting on abit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

My old man has driven for years long distance, everything from the good old mark one Tranny to a Albion HD 55 from well before I was born, and he was ****** gutted when he hit 70 and the took all his entitlements off him.. He was going to take the medical but it was going to cost money, but due to dad being a spender in his youth he turned pretty cautious with his money. To the point where he is officially " tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm" so the medical went out the window.. He still light goods vehicles all over the country and now at 74 still gets requests to drive off the leasing company he works for a couple of days a week

But even he said himself " Anything along the lines of a close call and thats it, I'm hanging the keys up"
    I'd do him in myself if i caught him driving the wrong way down the A1 at 25 miles an hour!!!!

Thread Information