0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HIDS again! Review this time.

I have had my HIDS Direct 35w 6000k fitted for 4 days now and I thought it was time to give them a review.

Firstly HIDS direct supplied them and they came with in 24 hrs.

Fitment was fairly straight forward and the supplied "additional" cancellers were not used. I have not had one fault indication nor any strobe effect.

They were fitted to a 07 Facelift Vectra with Chrome light surrounds.

Apart from a few miles around the West Country town I was in, I have just got back from a 180 mile trip in the dark on the M5/M4/M25 so I have had time to appraise them well.

Firstly they are a maked improvement on OE, for that there is no doubt. Light is crisp, white and bright. They reach further ahead than OE lights but don't aim too high.
    They appear not to dazzle oncoming traffic or when approaching directly from the rear.
    The weather on this evenings trip trip was both fine and torrential rain with excessive road surface spray.

They cut through the spray and bad visibility without any problems.

Just a few notes of concern though, nothing major that wants me to rip the bumper off in the morning, but still need highlighting.

I feel there is just slightly too much lateral beam, to explain clearer, I find that they shine a little too much left and right, not high at all, but still very left and right to a hieght of around a cars door mirror when passing.
    This tends to illuminate both the central reservation and hard shoulder very well, but also illuminates a car's (that's being overtaken) interior as you get level with their rear o/s bumper and on some cars illuminated thier door mirror.
    Though only once on the journey did I notice a driver that I was passing raise his hand to shield the light from his door mirror as I was passing. But as I was passed fairly quickly I'm sure it was a minimal nuicance.

So all in all, they seem very good, though do watch for the beam very bright right and left of centre. They also make motorway blue roadsigns reflect brightly when approaching.

Out of 10 I'd give them 8.5 and just hope the left and right illumination isn't too harsh for other motorists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good review , i think that even the standard xenon's with afl seem to light up to the left and right a lot , i noticed a range rover the day and the pavement area was just as bright as was pointing on the road

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matty777 View Post
    I have had my HIDS Direct 35w 6000k fitted for 4 days now and I thought it was time to give them a review.

Firstly HIDS direct supplied them and they came with in 24 hrs.

Fitment was fairly straight forward and the supplied "additional" cancellers were not used. I have not had one fault indication nor any strobe effect.

They were fitted to a 07 Facelift Vectra with Chrome light surrounds.

Apart from a few miles around the West Country town I was in, I have just got back from a 180 mile trip in the dark on the M5/M4/M25 so I have had time to appraise them well.

Firstly they are a maked improvement on OE, for that there is no doubt. Light is crisp, white and bright. They reach further ahead than OE lights but don't aim too high.
    They appear not to dazzle oncoming traffic or when approaching directly from the rear.
    The weather on this evenings trip trip was both fine and torrential rain with excessive road surface spray.

They cut through the spray and bad visibility without any problems.

Just a few notes of concern though, nothing major that wants me to rip the bumper off in the morning, but still need highlighting.

I feel there is just slightly too much lateral beam, to explain clearer, I find that they shine a little too much left and right, not high at all, but still very left and right to a hieght of around a cars door mirror when passing.
    This tends to illuminate both the central reservation and hard shoulder very well, but also illuminates a car's (that's being overtaken) interior as you get level with their rear o/s bumper and on some cars illuminated thier door mirror.
    Though only once on the journey did I notice a driver that I was passing raise his hand to shield the light from his door mirror as I was passing. But as I was passed fairly quickly I'm sure it was a minimal nuicance.

So all in all, they seem very good, though do watch for the beam very bright right and left of centre. They also make motorway blue roadsigns reflect brightly when approaching.

Out of 10 I'd give them 8.5 and just hope the left and right illumination isn't too harsh for other motorists.

I think that the 2nd allen key slot under the bonnet controls how "wide" the beam pattern is, I know one of them is up and down, I assumed the other is left and right.

Did you have your lights aligned at a garage after fitting HIDs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same kit (almost) as Mattys, not had mine aligned yet either, gonna run it through a beam setter before MOT time
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maurauth View Post

Did you have your lights aligned at a garage after fitting HIDs?
    Not quite, but did them on my garage

They, the light clusters, were refitted using marks from the original setting and seem to be pretty spot on.

I think my method coming home all that way tonight on busy motorways was a good temporary measure to check them. IE I never got flashed, brake or foglighted nor abused by any other motorist, I'm sure that's a fairly good guarantee they are set right.

I for one, if dazzled or blinded would make sure the other motorist knew he had "bothered" me It didn't happen in 2 3/4 hrs so fairly confident.

Thread Information