0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bit of advice please

hello, i picked up my 1.8 54 plate vectra on wensday and love it but on the night i got it i noticed a rattling noise comin from left of the engine. i contacted the garage i bought it from and they said it will probly be the timing belt and to bring it down.
    So today i recieve a phone call to tell me it was the water pump but the timing belt is more then likely going to be nakerd in the next couple of month and if i would like to replace it at extra cost..
    Now i have only clocked up 58 miles and after only having the car 5 days i feel this is very unfair. In my eyes i have been sold a faulty car due to it was suppose to of had a full service and safety check on tuesday so i would of thought this rattle would have been spotted and also the timing belt pointed out to me.

advice and veiws much aprriciated, i am just realy gutted after paying all that money under a week ago and having to pay more for it to be fixed whilst the cars sat in the garage for 2 days..

Thanks Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically mate, if they replace the waterpump they should have to replace the timing belt as its not advised to put a used belt back on. I changed my timing belt and was told to change the water pump whilst I was on so that if the pump goes I wouldn't have to shell out for a new timing belt. HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdadidog View Post
    basically mate, if they replace the waterpump they should have to replace the timing belt as its not advised to put a used belt back on. I changed my timing belt and was told to change the water pump whilst I was on so that if the pump goes I wouldn't have to shell out for a new timing belt. HTH
    thanks mate,yeah i kinda understood that about changing the belt but i thought they should of picked up on this fault before i bought the car and replaced both. it was quite a loud noise and when the car was sitting and could smell smoke. i didnt notice this on my test drive either.

if this had of happend in say 2 month time i would of said fair enough my problem, but having had this problem since buying the car i feel they should fix it free of charge..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by byers View Post
    thanks mate,yeah i kinda understood that about changing the belt but i thought they should of picked up on this fault before i bought the car and replaced both. it was quite a loud noise and when the car was sitting and could smell smoke. i didnt notice this on my test drive either.

if this had of happend in say 2 month time i would of said fair enough my problem, but having had this problem since buying the car i feel they should fix it free of charge..
    definately fix it for free. timing belt kit is about £80-£90 from dealers and water pumps are only about £20 ish. so for the sake of £100 to the people who sold it to you plus fitting. think as a trader they have to give you some sort of warranty. might be mistaken though. Don't back down and just tell them they can keep the car if thats their attitude to customer problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdadidog View Post
    definately fix it for free. timing belt kit is about £80-£90 from dealers and water pumps are only about £20 ish. so for the sake of £100 to the people who sold it to you plus fitting. think as a trader they have to give you some sort of warranty. might be mistaken though. Don't back down and just tell them they can keep the car if thats their attitude to customer problems.
    totaly agree and the thing is pal i have a warranty, a payed 280 for a year but apparently it only covers the tensioners, pumps but not the belt. dont worry i wont be backing down, contacted trading standards and they said dont pay any money.

Just cant believe it because a realy like the car,exactly the colure i wanted and got lota plans for it.

will keep you updated anyway mate, thanks very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most give 1 m free waranty parts+labour and ur waranty prob wont start till the 4 weeks free is up if they try and back out if it comes to it u supply the belt they supply the rest of the kit. but push them all the way for the lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it back and demand a refund, they should back down

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamy View Post
    Take it back and demand a refund, they should back down
    If you get a refund, they're gonna have to fix it for when they sell the car to the next person really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should fix for free if not tell them u are involving trading standards as the car was faulty usually works bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hutton View Post
    Should fix for free if not tell them u are involving trading standards as the car was faulty usually works bud
    already have pal, didnt seem botherd, and asked him to put it in writing that hes going to charge me for a faulty car. way i see it is the problem was there they day i bought it, if they fixed it before i bought it, a new belt would have gone on with the water pump, just because i now have the car doesnt mean i should have to pay for the belt 5 days after purchase. anyways had a realy barny with them, as much as i like the car i am thinkin of collecting my stuff out of it tomorow and telling them to keep it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information