Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default There's a good reason why we should'nt use phones in cars

I now never ever use a phone while driving, It's left switched off, but a sad experience which happened to friends of ours convinced me even more how the simple act of using phones in cars can be dangerous.

Sometime ago I posted on here regarding friends of ours who had lost their 6 year old daughter ( she was actually 5yrs 10mths old) while shopping in Stoke on Trent just over 2 yrs ago, it was well publicised at the time in the press. The driver hit them while they were on a pedestrian crossing, near Fenton, he was using a hand held mobile phone at the time, and claimed he had not seen them. How is that possible when the crossing had control lights. he was sentenced to 30mths but only served 13 months, yes 13 months thats all, and lost his licence for 2 yrs.

We still see this couple quite frequently, and they have'nt come to terms with their loss, The wife suffered a broken arm and spinal injuries and fortunately has since made a good recovery, but they will never get over what they went through and still do, and TBH neither will my wife and I, she really was a gorgious lovelly friendly child.
    This is the main reason I feel so strongly about anything that can detract the driver from concentrating on his driving. A sad accident.? yes it was, and I dont know whether it may still have occured if the driver had not been on his mobile phone, no one knows.

As someone who has stupidly used a mobile phone myself while driving in the past, long time ago, I know that you cannot give 100% concentration to your driving, and anyone who thinks they are super human and can do it safely while driving is a fool and a liability on the roads.

Several Independant studies and their resulting evidence has already proved that on average drivers, who use phones in cars are more than 4x more likely to have an accident, what is interesting is that tests showed that there is little difference to the risk factor even with hands free kits. Now that is not something I have just made up, these are actual figures issued by the official safety bodies that did the tests including Rospa. Google this subject and you will find this to be true, or check out the following links.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/technology/07distracted.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_n7_v151/ai_19143376/

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/mobile_phone_report.pdf

A lot of people will say, what's the difference between talking on a mobile and chatting to a passenger, well I cannot answer that, other than to say, I hope I dont get too distracted when the wifes chatting away, though occasionally I will tell her to hold it until any danger may be passed, though TBH I tend not to talk very much anyway when I'm driving.

Those members with young children, I hope it never happens to any of you, but imagine for a moment how would you feel about the use of mobile phones if that had been your child. ?
    Last edited by 67688c; 16th February 2010 at 01:34.

Moderator & Events Assistant paulhb's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : M5

Trim : Nothing needs adding

Engine : 5.0 V10

Year : 07

Mileage : 37000

I have just closed another thread because on a very similar topic it started to get personal. So please if this thread is to run NO personal attacks on people who's views don't match your own

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by paulhb View Post
    I have just closed another thread because on a very similar topic it started to get personal. So please if this thread is to run NO personal attacks on people who's views don't match your own

Yes I know Paul, It was closed whilst I was typing the above, I thought it was relevant to what was being discussed. Its unfortunate that people cannot make a posting that does'nt necessitate closure of threads, though I appreciate sometimes thread closure is warranted and justified.

Some of us often have different opinions, I myself feel quite strongly about the use of phones in cars (as some previous posts of mine will obviously show) if only for the reason I outlined above, but one should be able to have a sensible debate without threads getting personal or offensive.

I'm obviously hoping that outlining the above will result in those who still use phones to think twice, or at the very least hope it will encourage them to be extra careful if they have to use them. Thats all I ask!. Ultimately it's down to the individual.

Hopefully I'm mature enough.. to avoid ever posting a personal attack on someone just because they may have opposite opinions to myself. I dont think in the time I have been a member it's something I have ever done.
    If I ever do so, I think its time for me to pack it in..

Therefore I assume your message above was intended as a general reminder to all members.

Moderator & Events Assistant paulhb's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : M5

Trim : Nothing needs adding

Engine : 5.0 V10

Year : 07

Mileage : 37000

It was a general reminder mate the posts that were deleted didn't involve any comments of yours and yes debate is good but not when it gets personal

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by paulhb View Post
    It was a general reminder mate the posts that were deleted didn't involve any comments of yours and yes debate is good but not when it gets personal

Cheers matey, I've been and read the posts in there to see what prompted the closure, and read your own post, so good to see we have similar thoughts re. phone use, and your comments were ironic considering what I posted above.

However as you stated, you dont realise the significance of something so trivial as using a phone in your car, I never used to myself until that happened to our friends little girl. Alan the father of the girl used to use a handsfree kit himself, but obviously he says he does'nt even do that now.

In fact I've noticed that we have not been seeing them anywhere near as regular as we used to. I can only hope in time their pain will pass so they can move on, but having never been in that position I can only imagine what they have gone through, and still are.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ive used mine twice while driving. both to ring the police.
    1; several years ago a young child was unrestrained and leaning 'upper torso' out off the front passenger window. i followed this car until i had to turn off.
    2; following an artic lorry who's air tank under the trailer was hanging off and dragging along the road. if this had come off who knows how it would have bounced along the road.
    wrong i know but considering the circumstances. i will never answer my fone while driving. just be my luck to have a plain car behind me if i ever did

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 07 Estate

i drive a truck for a living and as im high up, its amazing how many people i see have there phones in their hands texting!! not paying any attention,straying lanes, slowing right down as their concentration drops as they forget to press the throttle. its just dangerous and stupid.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would just like to say to the OP (67688c) that he's written a very touching and heartfelt post.

I was reading the previously closed thread this morning, and was about type my own comment and reply towards a post which in my opinion was an uneducated and ignorant throw away comment.

I do hope the same person reads this thread, and this may hopefully help him change his opinion on the matter.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

i never use my phone while im driving.full stop.

police should have a ''no getting away with it'' policy which the guilty person gets 6 points and a £1000 fine

i belive this would reduce it dramaticaly.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use my phone lots while driving but with a Parrot hands-free system. IMO using handsfree is the same as talking to a passenger. If you can't talk on handsfree and control a vehicle, you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

Driving while using a hand-held mobile phone is against the law so there's no debate for me. Against the law = don't do it.

The sentence handed out above is rediculous and another example of everything thats wrong with this country. Download some music and they come down on your like a ton of bricks. Kill a child or worse and you can expect to be out in a year or two. Something very broken with that system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information