Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Timing Chain & Head Gasket Issues

Could this be linked?

Salad cream like substance on oil dip stick and on oil filler cap. Havent lost any water or oil yet.

Also the Timing chain is rattling on start up from what I can make out. Due to go into garage next Monday for it to be fixed. Does this sound like two seperate problems, i.e head gasket failure and also the timing chain about to snap or could it be something different. Its all happened at the same time. I have a Vectra 06 plate, 2.2 auto direct.

Any ideas.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,

I have a similar situation. My Vectra is the same model as yours, but an 03 and has covered over 134k. I have a rattle/clicking on start up from cold, but goes after 5-10 mins and there is no noise at all. I have found a bit of white gunge on the dipstick, but the oil is still a normal colour. I do not have any creaming on the oil filler cap. I am, I think, using a little water, i.e. I do have to top it up from time to time, but not massively excessive.

I thought the noise could be the valve lifters, as the noise goes after a relatively short while. As for the water/cream issue, I think it could be separate.

I would welcome any suggestions from other members.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Rocketray

Becareful it could be your timing chain on the way out, should be changed at 100k. This cream like substance has appeared recently just like the rattling noise. I complete long journeys so I dont believe it could be condensation? Suggestions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thought I would post an update a year later. The local garage stripped the engine down and found the balancing chain to have slackened and needed replacing, it had slackened due to one of the mounting brackets that had snapped off and I was lucky that no further damage was caused. The cam chain was fine but as iv got 70000 miles on the clock I decided to have the cam chain replaced also as well as a full service. Total cost was 900.00. The creamy stuff on the oil cap was condensation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a similar problem over the past week, it was also making a intermitant grinding noise for the first second on start up. Yesterday morning it wouldn't start (was turning over but wouldn't catch), turned it off then re-tried - it did start but was rough as a**e and had no power at all. This morning, no start again, had to be towed to a garage.

Timing chain shafted, valves gone, now out of warranty, darn. Only 38k

Add this to the numerous (all waranty) replacements on various injectors, fuel pumps etc, I have NO confidence in this car now. Which is a shame because I've loved it for the 3 years. Time for it to go....

I'm getting an A5.

Detritus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

seen this loads ...aslong as it isnt useing oil the mayo in the engine is from condensation mixing with the oil i would say your not getting the engine hot enulf or not driveing it for a long distance to burn off the mayo ...this in turn has contaminated the oil witch will have damaged the cam chain tenstioner allowing it to stick / be stiff i would advise a a new chain kit and regular oil change poss with useing a different oil to you use now ..... if the car is useing water it will need checking out before the headgasket is found to be faulty this will need to be fixed along with the chain problem .

try www.z22se.co.uk fornmore info ...

Thread Information