Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question BMW 330CD M Sport Test Drive

Drove the current BMW coupe with the 3 litre diesel engine on Saturday, wonderful engine, very quiet and refined. Did not feel like a diesel at all, I was very impressed, it did not feel much quicker than the 1.9 CDTi 16v (with tuning box) but I think it was, the smothness masks the performance a little. It does seem a very good car, well made, handles well, good equipment levels and enough room for a smallish car.

I guess most of you know a replacement coupe is out very shortly and the diesel version is due in December, from the pictures I think the new version is not at all good looking and will be more expensive. Buyacar.co.uk are doing the current model for £27,500 while BMW dealers still want around £33,000, so there is a healthy discount to be had, it may get better as the replacement arrives, I can only guess. Anyone here owned the 3 litre diesel BMW coupe in the past, if so what did you think, worth buying now, over rated? Is the Harmon Kardon hi-fi upgrade worth the cash?

The BMW 3 litre puts out 205 BHP in standard tune but many maps offer 250 BHP or more, I think with that kind of power the performance would be superb and retain the refinement. I still think the 1.9 GM diesel is a great engine I would just like a little more refinement, better handling and something a little more stylish if possible, value for money the Vectra is great but sometimes I just feel it is more of head choice than a heart choice.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone here owned the 3 litre diesel BMW coupe in the past, if so what did you think, worth buying now, over rated?
    Had one for 6 months, fantastic car. Loved it. Sold it as company car scheme got silly. Was going to get one instead of the Vec, but I could only afford used one at the time so opted for the Vec because of warranty. Mine was Superchipped too. Very very quick and easy 450 miles to a tank.

Is the Harmon Kardon hi-fi upgrade worth the cash?
    Every penny. Crystal clear, decent quality and a nice tight sound. Wish Vx had done an upgrade.

Can't beat a 6 cylinder diesel.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The BMW 330d M Sport Coupe has 231bhp and 369lb/ft. No Vectra 1.9 CDTi will keep up with a 330d, mine even with a VXR re-map car keep up with one, period.

The new 330d Coupe will have 272bhp apparently.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The BMW 330d M Sport Coupe has 231bhp and 369lb/ft. No Vectra 1.9 CDTi will keep up with a 330d, mine even with a VXR re-map car keep up with one, period
    F*ck. Didn't know that, that will absolutely fly!

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've had a bit of a drag race with a certain 330d Saloon on a few occasions and I've always beat him. Having said that though my car is tuned up and his is standard, plus it was close.

The M sport 330d is a totally different animal though. Mike at Diagnostics has fitted a box to one of these and he reckons it's without a doubt the fastest diesel he's ever been in, and nothing else touches it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Harmon Kardon

CDTi you say the HK audio is worth it, does it compare to an aftermarket headunit and a decent sub in the boot of the Vectra? I have a very nice Pioneer head unit and JBL 12" sub with a JBL woofer in the boot, it sounds superb and the lot cost just under £300. The HK upgrade is about £700, it is nice of course to have a decent audio system as part of the original equipment and I think an aftermarket headunit in the dashboard would really spoil it, the single din in the Vectra works fine but the dashboards are very different designs between the coupe and the Vectra.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Obviously it will sound different to your Vectra system. Having the 12" Sub is more boomy. The HK system is designed to the car. It has multiple speakers all doing different things (High, mids and lows etc) so the quality is superb.

Personally a well designed system like the HK one beats anything for simular money. Plus as you say looks factory which is a big + for me.

I had the HK upgrade on my XKR and it was perfect. I didn't touch it at all, which is rare for me.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default HK Audio

Thanks CDTi for the information, if I go ahead with the 330 purchase I will definitely get the HK upgrade. Strange I know but I do not want leather, I think the standard alcantera is already excellent and leather to be over priced and always makes my back hot, leather looks good and cleans easy but I do not want it. Also I like the manual gearbox so contrary to most BMW owners I would choose manual and cloth seats.

The more I think about it I will make the change, ideally not until next April, seems a shame to waste the remaining Vectra warranty but I suspect soon after the new coupe goes into production getting the E46 coupe will be difficult at best.

I wonder how to find out when the last production run of the E46 coupe will be?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had the alcantara interior and prefered it. Frankly leather in BMW 3 series is ****. Creases so easily and just looks so badly worn IMO. Look at any old 3 series. Look at a Mercedes though and it still looks fresh.

No probs

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

CDTi one last question, how did you find the air conditioning, good as the Vectra? I have heard from quite a few sources that Vectra air conditioning is one of the best around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information