Thread: Squeeling Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Squeeling Brakes

Changed discs and pads on my 56 Signum a couple of weeks ago, everything has been spot on but over the last cuple of days there has been a squeeling when you brake lightly (undecided as to which side its coming from).

Now before anyone suggests it i lubed the rear of all the pads with copper grease so i'm assuming thats not the problem, any ideas as always are welcome.

Cheers.
    Ste

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Did you also lube the sliding surfaces on the pad into the calipers with copper grease?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

did you use genuine parts or cheep copies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There's a small shield near the underside of the caliper, make sure it isn't touching the disk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies, they are genuine vauxhall parts. Can't remember if I lubed the spring clips which locate inside of the front pistons I will strip it down and check over the week end, is this where you mean Ste?
    Will also check the shield on the under side of the caliper are these on front and back?

Thanks again for the replies.
    Ste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Griff72 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, they are genuine vauxhall parts. Can't remember if I lubed the spring clips which locate inside of the front pistons I will strip it down and check over the week end, is this where you mean Ste?
    Will also check the shield on the under side of the caliper are these on front and back?

Thanks again for the replies.
    Ste.
    The shields are behind the disks - a flat metal plate that covers most of the rear surface of the disks.

You don't lubricate the spring clips - Ste means the 'hooks' on the pads that slide along the caliper brackets as you apply/release the brakes.

My genuine GM pads squealed a lot and so I replaced them with EBC Ultimax - no squealing and much better stopping power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Forget the word "hook", that causes confusion...what people above are saying is that you need to put grease on the bit of the side of the pad that slides along the caliper when the piston is pushing it. That friction between the side of the pad and the caliper can cause noise. Putting grease on the back of the pad, as you've already done, stops noise from the piston-to-pad contact point, not caliper-to-pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by James24 View Post
    The shields are behind the disks - a flat metal plate that covers most of the rear surface of the disks.

You don't lubricate the spring clips - Ste means the 'hooks' on the pads that slide along the caliper brackets as you apply/release the brakes.

My genuine GM pads squealed a lot and so I replaced them with EBC Ultimax - no squealing and much better stopping power.

Ok I know the 'hooks' you mean, will have a good mooch tomorrow and report back thanks for the useful info.

Ste

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    Forget the word "hook", that causes confusion...what people above are saying is that you need to put grease on the bit of the side of the pad that slides along the caliper when the piston is pushing it. That friction between the side of the pad and the caliper can cause noise. Putting grease on the back of the pad, as you've already done, stops noise from the piston-to-pad contact point, not caliper-to-pad.

Thanks Jezzy, I think I'm with it now, lube along the top edge of the pads (when they are sat in the carrier) the side in contact with the caliper.
    Am I right in remembering the 'hooks' are only on the rear pads?

Ceers.
    Ste

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Griff72 View Post
    Thanks Jezzy, I think I'm with it now, lube along the top edge of the pads (when they are sat in the carrier) the side in contact with the caliper.
    Am I right in remembering the 'hooks' are only on the rear pads?

Ceers.
    Ste
    Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer - I didn't mean the locating hooks on the front inside pads (that clip them into the piston) or the spring-like thing on the rear inside pads (that brace them against the inside of the caliper).

I meant the hook-shaped part at the top and bottom of the backing plate of each of the brake pads - i.e. what they slide along the caliper mounting bracket on whenthey are moved backward and forward by you applying/releasing the brakes (and as the friction material and disks gradually wear down).

The backing plates are pretty much the same shape on the front brakes as on the back ones, it's just larger on the front than on the back.

Thread Information