Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default You Got Me Mr Blair

I think my retirement is imminent, tonight i couldn't get on a rank, or get a job off the street, after an hour of looking in empty pub windows I decided it would be wise to not give my stress level anymore excercise, this has been ongoing now for the past 20 mths, steady decline in trade, spectre of deregulation etc has made me think, WTF am I doing, my family suffer cos of my job, my health suffers because of my job and my state of mind suffers because of my job, so i think it's time to apply for a short term numpty low earner job that the firm will have to lay me off in the next yr or so and plough everything I have into reducing my mortgage and become one of the sunshine ppl, who get as much money per week for doing Jack as I get for servicing the nasty drunks all week, all sounds pretty poor doesn't it, so i'll explain my reasons.

1 - Migrants get the lot from day one, I've spent 25 yrs and am only halfway there.

2 - The Governments of the world are engaged in a large game of Monopoly with me being collateral damage.

3 - Imagine having to sit with someone who might puke,argue or not pay as a way of earning a living.

4 - I dont see why I should pay tax so others who never have can go about flicking attitude at everyone.

5 - I think i'm about to have a breakdown, me not the car, seen a bit too much this yr for my likeing.

6 - Other jobs, I see ppl with no idea getting the jobs I would want, all because they have a piece of paper that says they supposedly can do them, yet the other day what did I pick up, an IBM'r who was scared to death of Nero!!! 35k per yr and he cant work a simple burning program.

Whatever happened to face value and come here and show me what you can do?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do you need the number of a good psychiatrist to help you through the breakdown?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

aaaaaand, relax

Stress levels sound high. Are you really that bothered? is it worth getting all worked up about?

Maybe its just me but i think the media help create this atmosphere of tension, always looking for that sensational story about immigrants get this, immigrants get that.

I don't know about your area but where i live, i don't see them. Yeah i see lots of pakistanis but they are OK, i see no eastern europeans....

Strange about it being quiet on the fares though, my pub has been empty on the weekends for the past couple of weeks, may be something to do with the world cup?. In this town, you'll be lucky to get a taxi come kicking out time.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Same here. Loads of people wondering how to get home and not a taxi in sight!!

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side!. I don't think all the Eastern Europeans who are picking asparagus round here for 12 hours a day, for tuppence an hour would agree with you.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi guy's, thx for the replies which you bring up a couple of interesting points, and one which i'm glad MLC has pointed out in particular.

1 - The Pakistani's, they have never really bothered me tbh, it's the eco migrant of the last 5 yrs type that I mean, whilst I dont blame them for trying for a better life, unless something is done soon it will dry the country out and cause us a lot of problems, wages,culture and general standards, and the guy who pick the asparagus, is getting housed for free, bills paid, when you add up what he doesn't have to pay for to get a roof over his head, it's as much as I get for my troubles.

2 - Where I live there have been numerous stabbings this yr, and thats not good from a fist fighter town.

And now the cant get a taxi bit at kicking out time, this is a good issue to raise, especially with you Paul due to your job, over the recent yrs it is council policy to squash all the nightlife into one area, the reason for this is so that the police should be able to respond to trouble easier and quicker, the actual effect is to create a flashpoint centre, if ppl have only one area to drink in, when they as they do get annoyed with each other there is no escape, and it then becomes a ruck, but unlike the old days of the ruck between tow ppl, it flashes into a mass brawl due to todays bottless troublemaker who will have rounded up all his mates on the mobile to come to his aid.

The second point about not being able to get a cab at kickout time has always been an issue at weekends, that is the peak and trough scenario, for a whole 4 hrs a week more ppl want a cab than can be supplied, if we were on wages rather than supply your own and get what you get, then we could have a cab service that has spare cabs sitting about at anytime ppl need one, but the economics dont allow for this for a 4 hr peak demand.

The 4 hr peak demand, or any other night at closing for that matter, how many jobs do you think I can do in that time, while avoiding the drunk who crosses the road without looking, the peak per night lasts maybe 1 hr, 2 at weekends and drive at a speed the law says is acceptable, it's not many I can tell you and that hour doesn't make a nights money either.

Then we get to the punter side of things, cor mate you must earn a fortune I hear all the time at closing time, WHY? just because the one time the guy wanted a cab was the sametime as everyone else, I dont hear him moaning about the wait in the queue to get in the bar, or the wait to get a drink once inside, or the £3.50 he just paid for a drink, but as soon as I get him he's off on one, bit dear innit mate, what £5 to save an unsafe walk home that would take an hour to do I reply to them, is it?

And then there's the change in ppl now, after 20 yrs of cabbing I've noticed a change from happy appreciative ppl who actually used to make my working night seem like a night out for myself, to aggressive,rude and resentfull ppl who I cant wait to see the back of, typical examples are.

Journey in 1988 - Hi mate, were going to such and such thx and have a good night

To

Journey 2006 - Wants to go to ? and the chat goes into, yeah I was gonna kick his ****ing head in, he was so lucky etc, then the mobile goes off, where it becomes a shouting match cos the dickhead is ringing from a noisy bar, where the convo usually ends up being about who they've stitched up or are about to, all topped off with the HOW MUCH chant at the end of the journey.

The likes of Peter Kay can be thanked for some of this, due to his **** take of the standard questions ppl ask, well me personally I'd rather someone asked those questions than sit like a silent idiot who grunts to anything you try to chat about, they are ice breaker questions that lead on, if the cab driver cant accept it's part of it and is miserable to his punter then it's him/her that is in the wrong.

Anyway my minds made up, after I posted this last night, I went through a few jobs on the web, and I think I will be better off driving a parcel van about, with someone else maintaining it, getting a wage every week regardless of how busy it is, during the day, without having to deal with the wildlife anymore.

To anyone who might be reading who uses taxis and isn't what I described above, i.e they are normal and pleasent, I ask you not to feel targeted by my comments.

And one last thing for you Paul MLC, go to your local council licensing office and ask for a copy of th PHM mag, it's free, have a read and you might be suprised at what you read in it, then leave it in the station so the other ppl who work with you can also have a read, and none of what i've referenced above is directed at you personally btw.
    Last edited by VauxVeteran; 24th June 2006 at 13:27.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MLC
    Same here. Loads of people wondering how to get home and not a taxi in sight!!

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side!. I don't think all the Eastern Europeans who are picking asparagus round here for 12 hours a day, for tuppence an hour would agree with you.

I used to sub contract for TNT fashion logistics and used to get over £400 for the run I did each day (over 500km)then the above eastern europeans went working for a fellow competitor and now the job is down to £250 and they get paid £50 a day for doing it off their boss

I can't even do the job and make a wage at that price the fuel costs and insurance is close to that mile by mile

Thread Information