0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate (150) Nav

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi (150)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 126000

Unhappy My turn for no power under 2000rpm in Vectra CDTi (150) SRi

So, after having read all about everyone else's symptoms and read all the "how tos", it's now my turn.

Mine's got a full service history (ex-fleet car) and 83K on the clock. Yesterday morning, as I started driving to work, I noticed that not a lot was happening when I pressed the accelerator pedal under 2000rpm, until the turbo cut in. Then, on the dual carriageway, I was in 6th gear and wanted to overtake so put my foot down but the power actually lifted off rather than increased and the car/spanner warning light came on for a few seconds. I guess it switched to the "emergency running programme" briefly. The manual is a laugh, page 188 says "If it [the light] illuminates briefly, but does not recur, it is of no significance". Yeah, right.

It did it again on the way home, so I popped into my local TMC in Towcester to buy some carb cleaner, with the aim of doing some remedial work last night, but they'd run out. It was still the same this morning (although the first 100m was OK) so I nipped into Halfrauds on the way to work this morning and bought:

Wynn's Fuel Injection Intake & Carb Cleaner
    Redex Diesel Advanced Fuel System Cleaner (3K mile treatment) (although now in gold packaging like this one)
    Comma Multipurpose Grease (I'm sure it will be needed at some point!)

So, this evening I will be using the great "how tos" to remove and clean the boost sensor and EGR. Then, when I fill up with diesel later in the week, I'll chuck in the bottle of Redex. Hopefully the car will be back on top form then and I won't have to think about the pain of DMFs, manifolds and swirl bars... I nearly bought the de-coke can as well, but I thought I'd start with the above and see what happens.

I've just had a look at the EGR replacement poll and see that 135 people have had theirs replaced and 127 haven't. Many more appear to have cleaned theirs but I can't find a poll for that. What I want to know is, if this is such a known and widespread 'condition', does a full service not include cleaning the boost sensor and EGR? As the car only has a full service every 40K miles (with an interim of fluids and filters change every 20K) it would seem logical, so are they not done and/or do they just need cleaning more often than that? Perhaps it's a way for the stealer to get a few more £££ out of us for a new part? I have a year's warranty with the finance I took to part-purchase the car so I'll be checking that very carefully this evening to see exactly what is covered, just in case...

I see that short journeys and idling whilst warming up in the cold are big contributors to these problems, both of which have been happening since I got the car what with the cold weather etc. My journey to work is 14 miles, which takes about 20-25 mins. I thought that the engine took 5-10 mins to fully 'warm up' but does that count as a 'short journey' as far as this problem is concerned? I haven't yet done any long journeys, i.e. over an hour of continuous driving but I do get 'up to' 70mph () on my journey to work.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not another one with no power under 2k rpm. I hope watchdog are reading these threads!
    I had the same issue, dangerouly lacking power under 2k and no confidence in the car at all.
    Mine had a brand new EGR valve on it, so I changed this and put the original one back on having cleaned and this sorted it. I aslo changed the boost sensor and mine was ! I also de-coke'd it and a combination of all of the above helped.

Have a search of some of my threads and all will be revealed!

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck! !

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

its the same old same old, egr clean thorough and voila 1 quick responsive car again.
    there lots of piccys on how to here mucker including mine so good luck

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thats what happens when vauxhall/opel stop using isuzu diesel engines and go to Fix It Again Tomorrow (FIAT) for their oil burners! VIVE LA 1.8!!! real vauxhall,real engine!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

yes another one!!, so common its un-real!, BUT my thoughts are with the egr/inlet manifold issue is WHY or HOW have vauxhall been allowed to get away with engine/exhaust fumes entering the driver cabin, nearly everyone with a knackered inlet manifold would probably be able to think back and remember the smell of exhaust gasses in the driver cabin, surely watchdog would be more than interested in the health & safety issues connected with this ???????????????????????. i have this problem and the smell is doing my head in!.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by the-wizard View Post
    yes another one!!, so common its un-real!, BUT my thoughts are with the egr/inlet manifold issue is WHY or HOW have vauxhall been allowed to get away with engine/exhaust fumes entering the driver cabin, nearly everyone with a knackered inlet manifold would probably be able to think back and remember the smell of exhaust gasses in the driver cabin, surely watchdog would be more than interested in the health & safety issues connected with this ???????????????????????. i have this problem and the smell is doing my head in!.
    Had manifold, egr & actuator done before Xmas - the car drove the same as it always had with no warning lights & no smell. It was only picked up because I had the car fully checked out before the extended warranty expired!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ollie , if you want a diag check , shout me I am only 10 minutes from you in North MK. I am about after 8pm tonight

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry

Thanks for the very kind offer Kman247! Only logged on at 23:30 though, so didn't see your message. I have a code reader, so did check that out (more about that later on)...

OK, so I've cleaned the boost sensor and EGR but I am FAR from happy as it hasn't made any difference. Well OK, it might have done, but I can't tell because when I took the engine cover off, the first thing I looked at was the swirl connector bar and saw that the bl**dy thing has fallen off. What a piece of cr*p design that is!

So, now I need to check my warranty VERY carefully and give them a call tomorrow. Even though it's 2nd hand, I think it's a 'bit off' that the car has developed a MAJOR fault within a month of purchasing it. I have a the vehicle check sheet from the Car Shop but it doesn't specifically mention that they checked that part of the engine. It does say that there were no oil leaks, which given the photos below I find hard to believe. I wonder if I have any legal comeback with them or if it's "sold as seen" and it's up to the warranty people...

Anyway, the cleaning went pretty well, though I do have a question about putting the EGR back together in a bit... Both the boost sensor and the EGR were FILTHY. Having spent a bit of time in the distant past servicing my own cars and, bearing in mind that the car is less than 4 years old, I would say that they've probably never been cleaned. I know it's done about 60K miles (clock says 83K but it had a new engine at 19.6K) but the engine in general is not that clean & tidy and there are a couple of what look like oil leaks - can anyone confirm what fluid it would be leaking (see pics below)?

Bonnet open, 56 Vectra 1.9 CDTi (150) engine ready for me to go in and operate...
    Engine cover off (no bolts!), sensor and EGR highlighted.
    Boost sensor - torx screw in blue, clip to undo in yellow. Any ideas what the part ringed in white is, why & what it's leaking? :/
    Filthy dirty sensor straight off the engine.
    Fairly clean again, ready to go back on.
    The EGR's coming off - 10mm bolts ringed in blue, 13mm ringed in red. The two 10mm ones on the right have double bolts as they also hold the engine cover mount.
    Where's my EGR gone and what's all that black stuff?
    Dirty EGR unit straight off the engine with gaskets (I only have 2!?), don't let the flash photo fool you into thinking it's clean...
    Close up showing plenty-o-dirt!
    The EGR in half along with some of the crud that fell out.
    Close up of the cruddy spring-valve side...
    ...and the solenoid side
    The spring-valve side cleaned up a little.
    A little mess on the garage floor.
    Fault code stored, which I'm hoping is related to the following pics (especially as it said "EGR OK" on another screen)...
    VERY dissapointing sight...
    Why is this end so oily?!

With a LOT of fiddling about using 2 screwdrivers and a wire coat hanger, I managed to get the bar back on all the nipples, though I suspect this won't last the journey to work tomorrow. In any case I had a quick test drive and it's as bad as ever.

I guess it's new manifold time (hopefully on warranty)...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm... just read this thread with The-Wizard's picture of the solenoid; mine didn't look like that (see above). I assumed that this was because the bar was only pushed out when electrically operated. :/ I also see that someone has definitely been inside the EGR before me because there was no central gasket present (as in the picture in this thread. I wonder if that was what was causing the above fault code? I cleared the code and will check again later to see if it's reappeared.

Right, just spoken to warranty people, Autosave and the garage. The good news is that it IS a warranty repair!

Car is booked in for manifold replacement next Monday morning (pending parts delivery and courtesy car availability). Authorised repairer is D & A Autos, Grove Ash, Milton Keynes. The guy sounded good (friendly & knowledgeable) on the phone but has anyone had any dealings with them? I may just happen to leave the PDF from here of the fix lying around in the car...

I've just had a thought - will I automatically get one of the newer-style swirl-bar manifolds, (i.e. has that part number been updated) or would the repairer have to specifically ask for the new one (i.e. it's a different part no?). I guess I will also get a new EGR, boost sensor etc.? I will check when I drop the car off...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Result mate. With regards to the gasket, when I took mine of for the 1st time, I also though that there was no gasket, but further playing around and the use of a screwdriver found that it was actually firmly soot'ed onto the inlet manifold side and I did have to wrench the off!
    Second time round, I thought id actually dropped it, but it was actually the same problem.

Hope your's gets sorted soon mate. Good luck with the dealer and warranty repair.

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information