Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Roundabout RANT!!!

Is it just me, or, has the art of negotiating roundabouts completely vanished from the average drivers skill set?...

Lets say we're approaching a text book roundabout, i.e.- an exit at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 'O' clock positions and there are two lanes on the approach road...

I was taught that if I wanted to go left (9 'O' clock), stick to the near side lane, indicate left, enter roundabout and exit as planned. If I wanted to go straight on (12 'O' clock), stick to near side lane, don't indicate, enter roundabout and exit as planned (no need to indicate for straight on). If I wanted to go right (3 'O' clock, or for that matter anywhere past 12 'O' clock), move into right entry lane, indicate right, enter roundabout, indicate left before required exit then exit as planned. Simple you'd think...

So why is it that more and more people are doing the complete opposite? I don't know, maybe the standard of driver tuition has dropped or the rules have changed? Some guy flashed me this morning because I entered the roundabout in the right lane, indicating right, then indicated left just before exiting in approx. the 2 'O' clock position. I had to cut accross him because he'd gone all the way round the roundabout in the outside lane, NOT indicating and exited AFTER me in the 4 'O' clock position!!! Grrr...what's the point? The whole principle of the indicator is to INDICATE YOUR INTENTIONS TO OTHER DRIVERS. Then there's the people who think a quick flash of their indicator automatically entitles them to turn/change lane without looking, aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh

There seems to be a distinct "every man for himself" attitude on the roads nowadays, which, I honestly believe, contributes to congestion just as much as the increase in road vehicles. People don't seem to think outside their little world inside the car and don't care about indicating or giving way etc...

I commute 140 miles a day on the M4 (mostly on a motorbike, which is a whole other story!!!) and another thing that really bugs me is the way people join the carriageway. Now my misses will argue till she's blue in the face that the slip road is for building up speed prior to joining the motorway. OK I can see that to a point, but, it is a fact that you cannot argue, where the slip road joins the main carriageway there is a broken double white line. This means "Give way to traffic on major road" (quoted from highway code!), not "cross at 70mph and barge your way onto the motorway"!!! You even get the give way triangles on some slip roads. Then there's the idiots who brake to let them out, another cause of congestion and the motorway concertina effect!!!

One last thing, solid white lines seperating carriageways........need I say more?

Sorry guys, rant over, just had to vent after this mornings commute. I just hope I'm not completely wrong and don't get shown up by someone who knows the highway code better than me lol! Hope you're all having a great day!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : M-Sport

Engine : 2.5l Straight 6

Ive had a few people pull out infront of me when turning right on a round about.

When your on the inside lane signalling right passing the straight on junction then when someone pulls into the inside lane right just when you want to move across

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra gsi

Trim : Full heated leather

Engine : 3200

Year : 2004

thats a lot to read

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

In the typical roundabout scenario you mention, you can go straight on and be in either lane on your approach at the 6 o'clock position (assuming 2 lane exit too). If you approached in the right hand lane, you can then exit into either lane if it is clear.

You should also indicate your intention to exit at the 12 o'clock position by indicating when you pass the previous exit (ie 9 o'clock position).

Clearly this is the typical case, BUt some roundabout have markings that would mean particular exits for particular approach lanes, and it may be in the case point that you are in a lane that 'should' exit at the 4 o'clock position and the lane next to you is for the same (the one where the car that cut you up was positioned) exit point.

Mini roundabout seem to cause most confusion for some inexplicable reason.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The Highway Code is rather vague when it comes to an "intermediate" exit on a roundabout. I always thought that anywhere before 12 o'clock would be left hand lane and anywhere after 12 o'clock would be right (unless otherwise stated by lining).

After reading this a few months back you have to think hard because if you have an accident on a roundabout because you both thought you were taking the "appropriate lane" than it could end up being a knock for knock on the insurance

Signals and position.
    When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave
    When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want
    When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    • select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
    • you should not normally need to signal on approach
    • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

[quote=Ste;1158925]In the typical roundabout scenario you mention, you can go straight on and be in either lane on your approach at the 6 o'clock position (assuming 2 lane exit too). If you approached in the right hand lane, you can then exit into either lane if it is clear.

You should also indicate your intention to exit at the 12 o'clock position by indicating when you pass the previous exit (ie 9 o'clock position).

Clearly this is the typical case, BUt some roundabout have markings that would mean particular exits for particular approach lanes, and it may be in the case point that you are in a lane that 'should' exit at the 4 o'clock position and the lane next to you is for the same (the one where the car that cut you up was positioned) exit point.

Yeah I was on about single carriageway exits so the right lane selection on approach is more important. Like you say, if it's a dual carriageway or something with a two lane exit it doesn't matter so much...

The particular example I was on about had no specific lane markings. These lane markings seem to have increased in popularity over the last few years, adding, I believe, to roundabout confusion because the element of common sense and following the rules of road are negated. So the point I'm making I suppose is that people seem to select wrong lanes on roundabouts, unless they're specified lanes (although I've seen it happen on them too!)...

As for indicating to leave a roundabout straight on, I was taught not to. However, I can see that, especially in the case of larger roundabouts where waiting traffic can't see where you entered, it is probably sensible.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by parsco View Post

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    Exacty what I did!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think there needs to be a simple set standard for all traffic islands, round by me there are so many different ones with different markings you need to really be on your toes. It's no wonder some people get confused.
    I can even think of one island where there are 2 lanes to do straight on, but only 1 lane when you get to the otherside!!!!!!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy63 View Post
    I think there needs to be a simple set standard for all traffic islands, round by me there are so many different ones with different markings you need to really be on your toes. It's no wonder some people get confused.
    I can even think of one island where there are 2 lanes to do straight on, but only 1 lane when you get to the otherside!!!!!!!!!
    I know the type Birchy, two lanes in, one lane out. Makes for great congestion at rush hour!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy63 View Post

I think even the best of us would be confused coming to this roundabout for the 1st time..... anybody here from Swindon where this roundabout is

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information