User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Did CD70 Navi & GPS Kill my Battery?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Did CD70 Navi & GPS Kill my Battery?

A few weeks before xmas I took my Veccy to the stealers as the rear brakes were grinding (turn out the pad were totally shot and needed new disc too ) Anyway whilst it is there they say that the battery went flat and they could not start it so they charged it themselves.

So I pick up the car and a few days before Christmas switch to the GPS on the CD70 Navi and nothing - its not like there is no signal as the GPS logo with the red cross through is not shown and there just the Arrow icon in the tab at the top and the rest of the screen is blank, the disc is in the machine but nothing comes up at all and it won't eject it either

So I phone them up as they said they reset the time after charging the battery and I ask them if they did any Tech2 stuff (other than the clock reset) as this unit is paired with the CID but not to the car specifically as it was off ebay and the guy didn't have the car pass, to which they answer no. Well I know the navi worked on the way to the stealers as I used it to find them. Well as it now xmas and I am travelling back to UK for my holiday I tell them that they will get the car yesterday.

They phone me up today to say the battery is knackered and the reason the GPS doesn't work is that there is not enough power to run it although the rest of the car starts and runs ok and the CD and BC work fine also so it seem a little strange to me.

Does this seem right for a 2008 MY Vectra 2.0T ... 2 and a bit years for a battery from new seems like not a long time considering I have run a Ford for over 8 years with the same battery ... and I wouldn't think that the CD70 Navi consumes that much electricty and even if it did then why does the rest of the car function well ...

Any comments appreciated TIA

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like the dealer is trying to get out of admitting they've done something naughty. The radio uses a tiny amount of juice compared to the rest of the car. The clock should have set its self from the RDS signal on the radio so why did they need to use tech 2 ?????

Would have expected a few years longer from the battery.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Did Cd70 Navi & GPS Kill my Battery?

Hi,
    Firstly i would like to say how excellent this site is!

This is my first post, I realise the original post is a few months old, But did you get to the bottom of this issue, As i have the exact same symptoms with my Sat Nav. GGRRRR
    Ie: radio/cd/mp3/ + on board computer are all working well, but for some bizzare reason, my navi seems completely dead, the same as you have described, I have not updated the navi or played around with any settings prior to this so i am completely baffled by this.
    Can this really be down to a dodgy Battery?
    The only thing i have done recently which was around three weeks back was fit a Parrot, but i have even disconnected the SOT cable from the parrot and connected the original loom from the car to the head unit which makes no difference.
    Could this be a case of £££££ to be spent on a new head unit?
    I have disconnected the battery for 30 mins, but this still makes no difference.

Any advice or Updates would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    XPSRI150

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to say that after several attempts by the garage, a replacement that I fitted of the GPS unit just to check, a new battery (they came up with an excuse that the CD70 GPS always draws power even when the unit is not on and the keys not in the ignition which sounded like a joke) and also a alot of BS excuses from my stealer they told me they said the unit was knackered and could send the unit off for examination for £100 and that it would probably cost at least another £100 to fix the unit or more.

So basically the GPS unit died along with my CD stuck in the unit. The rest works fine and I will wait until the Zenec NC-5010 gets released then upgrade the whole thing ... Sorry for the bad news ... BTW if you get a GPS with a cross through it then your unit is fine and it's your GPS receiver - if you get the menu item but nothing else shown its dead ...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Did CD70 Navi & GPS Kill my Battery

Hi, Thanks for your quick response, Only had the car 12 weeks and already getting the feeling that the electrical components in this vehicle are suspect.

Upto date i have had a dodgy earth on my xenon drivers headlamp, Alternator packed in which i am told is very common and has been known to go on cars that have covered less than 30,000 mls and now this shower of **** has happened to my SatNav.
    Just seems rather strange that all this has happened to a car that is 3 years old.

What is the Zenec NC-5010 that is due for release?, Is this a replacement unit for the CD70?
    Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 131,000

Link to the Zenec Site here --->

http://www.zenec.com/it/products/ego/opel/ze-nc5010/

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 131,000

Quote Originally Posted by awilson View Post
    they came up with an excuse that the CD70 GPS always draws power even when the unit is not on and the keys not in the ignition which sounded like a joke...
    The CD70 remains on for only 5 minutes after ignition is turned off (Ignition logic switched on)

If you manually turn the radio on, or ignition logic is off, then the radio stays on for only 1 hour.

On pre-can vehicles in the past, the only way the radio would stay on any longer, is if the multi-timer circuit had failed.

In truth, on Full-Can Vectra's there is a permanent live feed to ALL modules at all times, which is controlled by the CIM and BCM.

But unless your battery is very old and weak, then this current draw is insufficient to flatten the battery...If I remember rightly, there is also a back up circuit that kills un-necessary circuits, if the car "believes" that the battery is at risk of being flattened below a certain voltage.
    But I don't know how true that bit is.

Thread Information