Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate (150) Nav

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi (150)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 126000

Default Vectra passenger sun visor retaining clip problem

Hi guys,

A little help required, please, as I can't find a "how to" for this (with a quick search).

During the installation of my parrot MK6100, map lights and sunglasses holder, I removed the passenger sun visor and the retaining clip. The retaining clip has to be one of the most rediculously designed fixings I've ever come across and, unless I'm missing something obvious, it's virtually impossible to get back in (so hopefully I am missing something! ). What's wrong with a screw to hold it in like all my other cars, I'm not sure.

Here's the clip in place with the plastic retaining bar partially withdrawn:

This is the metal roof mount:

As far as I can see, "replacement is reverse of removal" (or should be, to use the classic Haynes manual quote). However, when holding the clip in place, the metal part doesn't come down far enough to push the retaining bar through - the bar goes up at an angle and doesn't meet the hole on the other side of the clip. So does anyone have a solution to refitting the blasted little clip? I tried forcing the metal clip down with a screwdriver whilst trynig to refit the clip, but you need about 5 hands and it resulted in the following situation...

In one of those (one in a million) type incidents (feel free to laugh ) it pinged off and, whilst falling down, the retaining bar bounced off down the side of the driver's seat and the central console. I located it 'inside' the carpet at the front of the driver's seat runner. Whilst trying to retrieve it with a long screwdriver with double-sided tape on it, it disappeared down a stupid hole that is underneath the runner, never to be seen again.

So now not only can I not fit it, but I also need a new part as well. I think it's either part no 720838 or 90559995 as these are printed on the moulding or I guess I'll have to go through it with the local parts dept.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah, I can answer my own question!

Just found one on eBay, £3.99 + 70p p&p, looks like the metal clip comes out the roof (somehow, brute force I guess) and you attach the plastic clip to it and then just push it all back in again.

Just spoken to main stealer - they have them in stock at £3.12 +VAT (£3.67), so cheaper than eBay and available straight after work.

FYI part number is 24451519.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I also had this problem...got to be the worst design in the world!! I found the only way to get it back is to put the plastic clip in upside down....it seems to find the notch at the other side of the clip easier then and holds in place perfectly....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was shown this by Andy.l, as you say the metal clip comes out of the roof. Just squeeze the prongs on either side together (2 on each side) and with a bit of persuasion it comes out, refit the sunvisor plastic clip to the metal clip and then push the whole assembly back into the roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I tried forming a slight leading edge on the flat side to make re-engagement easier. It does work, just don't make it too big. And pushing the fitting up wards whilst sliding it in....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ooer missus! Thanks Ste, I tried that (without making a leading edge) and it didn't work, hence why I was trying to lever the metal clip down with a screwdriver, whilst I pushed it up and tried to refit the plastic bar, with the documented consquences.

So, I picked up the part from the stealer last night and it took about 2 mins to get the old metal bit out (with 2 pairs of crocodile-nosed pliers) and then put the new part in (already attached to new metal clip). It's a bit fiddly to get the old metal bit out as tramman says, I expect Vx have a special tool to enable swift extraction... I suppose it's not something that one wants to remove/replace everyday but it still seems a bit overkill. My mate, who used to make seats for Vx in Luton, says it's because the motor industry are obsessed with not being able to see screws for anything and so they find new, 'clever' ways of fixing things or covering them up. Whatever, I have a nice new clip corectly back in place now for £3.67 and 2 mins work. I can now move on.

Thread Information