User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 1.9 CDTi Swirl Flaps - What, Where, Why and How Much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

FYI ...my swirl bar popped off around 40k. My mechanic set the flaps to a set position and left it at that. I have had to clean the egr (stripping the solenoid and lubricating as well) a few times over the years but am now up to 208k miles.

2. Likes Blackie_No1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Noticed my swirl bar off today. Was looking where exhaust gases were coming from that are getting in the cabin.

Am I right in thinking set to 10oclock and glue in position? Hoping this will stop gas being forced out of a closed swirl valve?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDti 16v

Year : 06

Mileage : 127000

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus86 View Post
    Has anybody used the swirl bar repair kit?
    I'm looking at some now, and there's an alu one Inc.bar and some machined brass bits to replace the plastic socket things.

Which would be better aluminium or brass?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-VAUXHA...item1e85c68002

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-C...-/161139198774
    I brought and fitted a swirl bar repair kit to my Vectra 1.9 150. It used the the existing bar with machined brass replacements for the original plastic bearings. Cost approx £16, was really easy to fit and install, and made a hell of a difference to the low down feel of the engine. Compared to £600 odd for a new manifold and the rest of the gubbins needed, its a steal.

One thing to note though, the repair kit only works if your swirl flaps are all servicable i.e. they are all in place, not broken and move freely on their axis. If they are stuck, or stiff then you might be able to clean away the gunk from the outside and twist them around a few times by hand to free up the gunk on the inside of the manifold. If they are broken or missing, then its new manifold time.

5. Likes v6nce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9

Mileage : 78k

Quote Originally Posted by rwindmill View Post
    I brought and fitted a swirl bar repair kit to my Vectra 1.9 150. It used the the existing bar with machined brass replacements for the original plastic bearings. Cost approx £16, was really easy to fit and install, and made a hell of a difference to the low down feel of the engine. Compared to £600 odd for a new manifold and the rest of the gubbins needed, its a steal.

One thing to note though, the repair kit only works if your swirl flaps are all servicable i.e. they are all in place, not broken and move freely on their axis. If they are stuck, or stiff then you might be able to clean away the gunk from the outside and twist them around a few times by hand to free up the gunk on the inside of the manifold. If they are broken or missing, then its new manifold time.
    Bought and fitted the brass ones back in Feb, worked a treat and still on, done maybe 5k since. Would recommend as a cheap alternative to a new manifold/welding the holes or a temp fix if this is on the cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9CDTI 150

Year : 2006

Mileage : 95,000

Good Post, I had this done in December, New Inlet Manifold and Swirl-flaps. Great before Christmas, VX Main Garage got the cost from £660 down to £600 in the end knocking off some labor, I thin they dropped the 4 hours £75 to £60.

I cant really say I notice the difference, but came up as a code on warning light while diagnosing something else over a 7 week period. All in another post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR & Vectra C 1.9 SRi

Trim : VXR & SRi

Engine : Z28NET & Y19DTH

Year : 2008

Mileage : 53000 & 1

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus86 View Post
    Has anybody used the swirl bar repair kit?
    I'm looking at some now, and there's an alu one Inc.bar and some machined brass bits to replace the plastic socket things.

Which would be better aluminium or brass?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-VAUXHA...item1e85c68002

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-C...-/161139198774
    I repaired the Mrs' z19dth swirl flaps with the brass kit too. Took less than an hour, most of that time was spent looking for the tiny allen key and spanner thats req'd (1.5mm allen key and 5 mm spanner iirc)
    Took some photos to make a kinda how 2 effort but the vxr has been taking up all my time lately. Dam chains lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9

Mileage : 78k

AJ, it's an easy simple fix that is less extensive that taking the whole manifold off. That allen key was a pain in the rear, luckily I found one in the tool kit at work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 cdti (150)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 88000

Replaced the swirl bar using washers and now getting P1109-61 Swirl Actuator Malfunction.
    Ordered a brass kit, but do I need to bite the bullet and get the manifold replaced? If so, anyone know anyone in North or East London or Essex that could do it. Anyone used a garage they would recommend in the south east as currently got broken elbow and ribs, and probably a bit much for me to have a go at anyway?
    Anyone had a recent quote?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra C sri estate auto+ hatchback auto x 2

Trim : est sri auto hatch design auto x 2

Engine : 1.9 cdti 150 x 3

Year : 08/07

Just for information i noticed that some company is selling new swirl flaps on ebay for about £80 a full set. I suppose if you were going to fit a new manifold about £150 (because you wanted working flaps ) it would be a cheaper option if you were doing the job yourself. But if you were paying a mechanic it would probably be as expensive if you wanted him/she to get rid of all the carp in the manifold.

12. Likes Blackie_No1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra CDTi

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 150bhp

Year : 2007

Mileage : 170k

Quote Originally Posted by naut1que View Post
    FYI ...my swirl bar popped off around 40k. My mechanic set the flaps to a set position and left it at that. I have had to clean the egr (stripping the solenoid and lubricating as well) a few times over the years but am now up to 208k miles.
    I’ve had my car three weeks tonight and I’ve found someone appears to have done this with mine, three of the flaps appear to be set in the “open” position just leaving the number three flap to do it’s thing on command from the actuator with no eml at present.

My car is sitting at 170k now. I’m hesitant to fit a new bar in case it ruins how the car runs or puts on an eml! I haven’t even tried moving the other flaps for fear of breaking something lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information